Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
UK
Hello again teachers,

I'd like to know if the sentences are correct and if we use the phrasal verbs lock somebody in when we are inside and lock out if we are outside.

1. It was happen yesterday that I was locked in inside our house. There was something wrong with our door lock. I had been picking it for three hours before I finally opened it.

2. I was locked in and freezing for 3 hours the other day cos I forgot my key inside our house.

Thanks a lot

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Hello again teachers,

I'd like to know if the sentences are correct and if we use the phrasal verbs lock somebody in when we are inside and lock out if we are outside.

1. It [STRIKE]was[/STRIKE] happened yesterday that I was locked in (or: inside) our house. There was something wrong with our door lock. I had been picking it for three hours before I finally opened it.
( I tried/was trying to pick it.. is more natural).

2. I was locked in and freezing for 3 hours the other day cos I [STRIKE]forgot [/STRIKE]had left my key inside our house.

#1 is fine (after my corrections) if the speaker is inside the house and the keys are not..
#2 is not. He could be locked in if he had left his keys outside, or locked out if he had left his keys inside. If both he and the keys were inside, then he could use the keys to unlock the door.

Donno

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
UK
In number 2, I must have made a mistake I should've written

I was locked out and freezing for 3 hours the other day cos...

Thanks a lot

acslater017

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You are in the UK, but I will give your sentences a more casual, American flavor:

1) I was locked inside our house yesterday. OR Yesterday, I was locked inside our house. There was something wrong with the lock. (You have already set up the story; "Our door lock" seems too precise unless you are a lawyer).

2) I was locked out and freezing for 3 hours the other day cos I forgot my key inside our house.
^Personally, I think it's perfectly fine to say "forgot"

Again, this is my casual/American opinion :)

Donno

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
UK
How about this sentence?

I'll make sure that I take the key before I lock up the door so that I won't get locked out.

Thank you

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
How about this sentence?

I'll make sure that I take the key before I lock up the door so that I won't get locked out.

Thank you

It sound strange. Nobody would say that they had to make sure that they took the key before locking up, because you can't lock up if you haven't got the key.

Incidentally, I'd say either before locking up or before locking the door, not before locking up the door.

Donno

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
UK
It sound strange. Nobody would say that they had to make sure that they took the key before locking up, because you can't lock up if you haven't got the key.

Incidentally, I'd say either before locking up or before locking the door, not before locking up the door.

Okay, I've got it now but I notice here in the UK that you can't lock the door without a key and in other/our country we use different knobset (cylindrical knobset) and we lock it without a key by pushing a thing like button.

Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.