Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
Pledging of usufruct is treated like/as a transfer.

I think "like" is correct, but I'm not sure. "Like" is followed by a pronoun, which is the case here, so it should be correct.

Thanks!

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm not sure what that word is, but I would use "as" in your sentence if you record it the same way, and "like" if you mean you follow basically the same procedure.

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
I'm not sure what that word is, but I would use "as" in your sentence if you record it the same way, and "like" if you mean you follow basically the same procedure.

Let me try to give you a clearer example.

A transfer is a handover of shares to an individual.

Y shall be treated like/as a transfer if it meets the following conditions.

I think only "like" is correct.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'd use "as." Let's see what others say.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Jasmin, why do you think "as" is incorrect?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I'd use "as." Let's see what others say.

This 'other' agrees.

I would treat it as if it were a transfer rather than similar to a transfer.

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
"Like" precedes a noun, whereas if what follows is a clause, one uses "as." I think that's the rule when it comes to using "like" and "as."

But perhaps there are exceptions. To be honest, "as" sounded more natural to me in the example I provided, but using "as" would run counter to the rule I just described.

Here's another example.

"All the questions must be answered with a 'yes' for tax treatment as an administrative company to be possible."

Here, too, "as" sounds better, but since what follows is a noun, "like" should be used. Or maybe "an administrative company to be possible" is a clause and "like" is correct.

I'm confused.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
"Like" precedes a noun, whereas if what follows is a clause, one uses "as." I think that's the rule when it comes to using "like" and "as."
I don't think there is such a rule. "As" can be a preposition too. There is a rule (which is not obeyed by every English writer) that "like" cannot be used as a conjunction. ("He does it like he should.")

I think there's a difference in meaning between the two treated as prepositions (but there is some overlap). "As" generally introduces a role of something ("He serves as president.") and "like" generally introduces something to which something else is similar.

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
I don't think there is such a rule.

I have two grammar books at home, one by Pat O'Connor and the other by Bryan Garner, that say there is such a rule.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I have two grammar books at home, one by Pat O'Connor and the other by Bryan Garner, that say there is such a rule.

Birdeen is right. O'Connor and Garner are wrong, though even the normally infallible Michael Swan writes," Like is similar to a preposition. We use it before a noun or pronoun. [...] As is a conjunction. We use it before a clause, and before an expression beginning with a preposition."

However, Swan later tells us, "Another use of as is to say what function a person or thing has - what jobs people do, what purpose things are used for, what category they belong to, etc. In this case as is used like* a preposition, before a noun: [...]

Please don't use that knife as a screwdriver."

I think this like should be as!

Interestingly, even the Oxford ALD is slightly confusing. In its usage advice box it says virtually what Garner and O'Connor say, and informs us that "AS is a conjunction and an adverb", but in the definitions colums, the first section gives as as a preposition.

Swan, Michael (1995) Practical English Usage, Oxford: OUP
Wehmeier, Sally (ed.) (2000) Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary, Oxford: OUP

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland

I think this like should be as!
Hmm... I think either is fine. I'd say

Please don't use that knife like a screwdriver. = Please don't use that knife in a way similar or identical to the way you use a screwdriver.

and

Please don't use that knife as a screwdriver. = Please don't use that knife in the function of a screwdriver. (I'm not sure, maybe "for the function" would be better?)

It's hard for me to imagine a context in which these two would actually be meant to mean different things, but they're not exactly the same to me.

I have another doubt. "As president" or "as a president"? "As a screwdriver" or "as screwdriver"? I somehow prefer the former from either pair but am not sure why. I suspect a slight difference in meaning but can't get it.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I didn't understand that part. What does it refer to?

Thanks.
1." In this case as is used like* a preposition, before a noun: [...]

I think this like should be as!"

Sorry, that wasn't very clear. What I meant to say was that the word like, which I have now underlined, should be as.

2. I agree with Birdeen:

" I'd say

Please don't use that knife like a screwdriver. = Please don't use that knife in a way similar or identical to the way you use a screwdriver.

and

Please don't use that knife as a screwdriver. = Please don't use that knife in the function of a screwdriver.

It's hard for me to imagine a context in which these two would actually be meant to mean different things, but they're not exactly the same to me."

In practical terms there is little difference in these examples. However, there is a clear difference in:

He gave me his advice as my lawyer. = In his role as my lawyer; he is my lawyer.
He gave me his advice like my lawyer. = In a manner similar to that of my lawyer; he is not my lawyer.

3. Collins Cobuild helpfully tells us: "You can use like, as, or the way as conjunctions when you are comparing one person's behaviour or appearance to another's. [...] For example, you can say 'He walked to work every day, like his father had done', 'He walked to work every day, as his father had done', 'He walked to work every day, the way his father had done'.

Learners used to be told that only as was correct in sentences like these, but this use now sounds rather formal or literary
."

4. Perhaps I should add a few words to my original claim that O'Connor and Garner are wrong. I'll change it to: O'Connor and Garner are wrong if they claim that this is an absolute rule, and deny the existence of prepositional as.

Sinclair, John (Editor in Chief) (1992) Collins Cobuild English Usage, London:HarperCollins

Status
Not open for further replies.