Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Ukraine
Hello!

Could anyone please tell me if I can use 'one' as a substitute word in the sentences below?

This task is for a group of students. The student whose answer will be the shortest, will be the winner // The one whose answer will be the shortest, will be the winner.

There're too many people there. Which of them is Mr.Brown? - The man in a black suit is Mr.Brown. // The man in a black suit is the one.

Thank you in advance.

For the first one, say:
The student whose answer is the shortest will be the winner.
You could substitute "The one" for "The student", but why would you want to?

For the second one, say:
The man in a black suit is Mr. Brown.

:)

You could substitute "The one" for "The student", but why would you want to?

I'm doing exercises from a grammar book. The task is to substitute the underlined words with 'one' where possible. The rule says we use 'one'/'ones' when avoiding using the same noun but is says actually nothing about the nouns themselves. Is 'Mr Brown' a noun? Sure, but the rule doesn't work here apparenly :roll:

I'm doing exercises from a grammar book. The task is to substitute the underlined words with 'one' where possible. The rule says we use 'one'/'ones' when avoiding using the same noun but is says actually nothing about the nouns themselves. Is 'Mr Brown' a noun? Sure, but the rule doesn't work here apparenly :roll:
The man in a black suit is Mr.Brown. // The man in a black suit is the one.
It is possible to use "the one" there, it would be grammatical, but it wouldn't be natural.

I agree with bhaisahab (naturally). While "The one in the black suit is the one" isn't necessarily incorrect, it seems strange, and I wouldn't expect anybody to say that.

oh oh
so it means that 'one' can be used to sustitute for a noun that was mentioned in the plural form but it's obvious which person we're talking about, right?

I mean, "Which of those boys is she in love with?' 'With the one in the red T-shirt".

If it's so, the example with the student now makes sense to me.

What about "Good night, little one"? Does 'one' here substitute for 'a girl'/'a boy' and we should work it out from the context?

oh oh
so it means that 'one' can be used to sustitute for a noun that was mentioned in the plural form but it's obvious which person we're talking about, right?

I mean, "Which of those boys is she in love with?' 'With the one in the red T-shirt".
Yes, but we would usually leave "With" out. Example:
A: Which of those boys is she in love with?
B: The one in the red T-shirt.

If it's so, the example with the student now makes sense to me.

What about "Good night, little one"? Does 'one' here substitute for 'a girl'/'a boy' and we should work it out from the context?
Yes, it is an affectionate term for a small child. You would generally know from context whether it referred to a boy or a girl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back