• Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Saudi Arabia
      • Current Location:
      • Saudi Arabia

Atheists' exclamations

Hi
    What do atheists say instead of oh my god, gosh..etc. I know some swearwords like f**k and s**t but I want polite exclamations.
    What about earth? I have never heard it but does it make sense? Earth!! that's a brilliant idea.
    Last edited by bhaisahab; 26-Nov-2010 at 11:00. Reason: Censoring offensive language.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

Re: Atheists' exclamations

Many atheists still use those godly exclamations. I've heard one saying that he uses "Jesus Christ" as a curse (he was a Pole speaking Polish though).

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Quote Originally Posted by Over the top View Post
    Hi
    What do atheists say instead of oh my god, gosh..etc. I know some swearwords like fuck and shit but I want polite exclamations.
    What about earth? I have never heard it but does it make sense? Earth!! that's a brilliant idea.
    I am a born-again atheist, but on thoser rare occasions when I use expletives , I find myself using the standard ones that offend deeply religious people,

I like your idea of Earth!, but I have been effing and blinding for too long to change now.

Most of us when we swear do not consciously think of what what are going to say - it comes automatically. In refined society I have occasionally managed to start a sh.. and change it to to sugar in the nick of time, but not often enough, I regret to say.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Hi
    What do atheists say instead of oh my god, gosh..etc. I know some swearwords like f**k and s**t but I want polite exclamations.
    In future posts can you please avoid using words which some users might find offensive.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

Quote Originally Posted by birdeen's call View Post
    Many atheists still use those godly exclamations. I've heard one saying that he uses "Jesus Christ" as a curse (he was a Pole speaking Polish though).
    AmE speakers will do the same. My own habits in this regard are similar to fivejedjon's. I even hear myself saying "thank god" on occasion. "Jesus H. Christ" is another one that is sometimes heard.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Quote Originally Posted by riquecohen View Post
    AmE speakers will do the same. My own habits in this regard are similar to fivejedjon's. I even hear myself saying "thank god" on occasion. "Jesus H. Christ" is another one that is sometimes heard.
    Thank G.d I don't do things like that. J.s.us. C....t alf....kingmighty, that would be embarrassing, I swe.r to .od.

(I hope this post is acceptable to bh..s.h.b)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Saudi Arabia
      • Current Location:
      • Saudi Arabia

Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    In future posts can you please avoid using words which some users might find offensive.
    Sorry if I offended someone but I can't see the point. Why would someone feel offended if I don't asterisk f*ck, but wouldn't if I added asterisks though his/her mind can still read it and know what it means. Isn't this ridiculous?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Saudi Arabia
      • Current Location:
      • Saudi Arabia

Quote Originally Posted by fivejedjon View Post
    Thank G.d I don't do things like that. J.s.us. C....t alf....kingmighty, that would be embarrassing, I swe.r to .od.

(I hope this post is acceptable to bh..s.h.b)
    I've noticed many people only asterisk vowels as if they the ones which make words offensive.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hungarian
      • Home Country:
      • Europe
      • Current Location:
      • Europe

Wink Re: Atheists' exclamations

*** NOT A TEACHER ***

Oh, Jesus wept!

I am a born-again atheist, but on thoser rare occasions when I use expletives , I find myself using the standard ones that offend deeply religious people,

I like your idea of Earth!, but I have been effing and blinding for too long to change now.

"on those rare occasions when I use expletives..." I hear ya'! *nods*

If I had a nickel for every time I've uttered the different forms of ...(How is it said in a prudish way? "F-word", right?), so, the "F-word", I would probably be on the Forbes list of billionaires.

J.s.us. C....t alf....kingmighty
    My sentiments exactly!

I've noticed many people only asterisk vowels as if they the ones which make words offensive.
    In my humble opinion, a rude word won't become any nicer just because you use asterisks, dots or anything else. I would call it... Eh, what I think is of no importance.

Tdol, the esteemed administrator of this website, wrote a comment not long ago in which he asked/instructed the members not to use swearwords in the title of the threads, but he approved (dis)cussing (pun intended ) such words/phrases.

PS:

Imagine someone asked you to help him transcribe this scene (from 4:10 to 4:20) from the British teen drama, Skins (especially the phrase at 4:15 ) how would you answer him?
    By the way, that swearing doesn't involve the "Big Boss" above.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Sorry if I offended someone but I can't see the point. Why would someone feel offended if I don't asterisk f*ck, but wouldn't if I added asterisks though his/her mind can still read it and know what it means. Isn't this ridiculous?
    It is ridiculous in a way.

However, there are people who are offended by the sight of the words in full, but accept reference to them. You and I might have our own feelings about this, but that's the way they are.

This is a forum to help people with their ability to communicate in English, not to convert them to what we think is a logical way of thinking. I would sooner write f**K and keep such people visiting us than write the word in full and send them away.

Besides, it is not beyond the bounds of possibility that this forum might be blocked in some countries if we were considered to be encouraging the use of obscenity and/or profanity. Crazier things have happened! That would deprive people of access to this area of learning - it it might be just the people who have little other access to relatively free opinion.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast