Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
l[FONT=&#23435]And Joseph['d[/FONT][FONT=&#23435]ʒə[/FONT][FONT=&#23435]uzif] said unto his [/FONT][FONT=&#23435]brethren[[/FONT][FONT=&#23435]br[/FONT][FONT=&#23435]ə[/FONT][FONT=&#23435]ðr[/FONT][FONT=&#23435]ə[/FONT][FONT=&#23435]n], I am Joseph; doth[/FONT][FONT=&#23435]my father yet live? And his brethren [/FONT][FONT=&#23435]could not answer him; for they were troubled at [/FONT][FONT=&#23435]his presence. [/FONT]
[FONT=&#23435][/FONT]
[FONT=&#23435]Why Joseph's brothers were troubled at his presence?[/FONT]

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
l[FONT=&#23435]And Joseph['d[/FONT][FONT=&#23435]ʒə[/FONT][FONT=&#23435]uzif] said unto his [/FONT][FONT=&#23435]brethren[[/FONT][FONT=&#23435]br[/FONT][FONT=&#23435]ə[/FONT][FONT=&#23435]ðr[/FONT][FONT=&#23435]ə[/FONT][FONT=&#23435]n] - I would thought /[FONT=&#23435]br[/FONT][FONT=&#23435]e[/FONT][FONT=&#23435]ðr[/FONT][FONT=&#23435]ə[/FONT][FONT=&#23435]n/. It's rare that English words have all schwas for vowels.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&#23435]I am Joseph; doth [/FONT][FONT=&#23435]my father yet live? And his brethren [/FONT][FONT=&#23435]could not answer him; for they were troubled at [/FONT][FONT=&#23435]his presence. [/FONT]

[FONT=&#23435]Why Joseph's brothers were troubled at his presence?[/FONT]
What's the source?

ziawj2

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
What's the source?
It's from Genesis 45:3, the Old Testament, the Bible.

I guess that Joseph's brothers may have done something wrong to their father. Is that right? If it's right, What had Joseph's brothers done to their father?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
They had done something wrong to Joseph - sold him into slavery.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Joseph's brothers were upset being with Joseph. It was Joseph's presence that bothered them.

Jed - not bad for an atheist!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I did say that the Bible was on my bookshelf. Even a born-again atheist has to accept the enormous influence that that book has had on English language, literature, art and culture.

Besides, I saw Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat'.;-)

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I guess that Joseph's brothers may have done something wrong to their father. Is that right? If it's right, What had Joseph's brothers done to their father?
As others have said, it wasn't their father to whom they had done something wrong. You might have confused this with another story - the story of Lot's daughters.

Barb, it's quite popular among atheists to know the Bible well.

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
Barb, it's quite popular among atheists to know the Bible well.
A recent survey on Americans' knowledge of religion, reported in the New York Times, revealed that atheists and agnostics were the most knowledgeable, followed by Jews and Mormons. May we conclude that the more you know about religion, the less likely you are to believe?:)

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I was trying to make a joking reference to his other post on the "how do atheists swear" thread. I didn't really mean to start a discussion on whether I really thought atheists were knowledgeable. It was just supposed to be humorous.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I thought it was funny, Barb.:lol:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
A recent survey on Americans' knowledge of religion, reported in the New York Times, revealed that atheists and agnostics were the most knowledgeable, followed by Jews and Mormons. May we conclude that the more you know about religion, the less likely you are to believe?:)
There are various postulated causes for this phenomenon.
1. Atheists might be generally more intelligent than religious people, and thus would tend to be more knowledgable about most things.
2. Your point, that learning the truth about religion turns you off it.
3. Atheists and agnostics are more likely than Christians to be skeptical, and base their beliefs on evidence. To do that about religion, you have to understand religious claims and look at them critically.
4. Theists (at least Christians) are generally anti-intellectual, because they are told to be (to be like little children; not to worry about tomorrow, have faith that God will fix things)
5. Finally, many atheists in America are ex-theists. If one is going to reject something important, one is more likely to put some effort into understanding exactly what one is rejecting, while those who are happy with the status quo tend not to make such an effort.

[None of this is meant to be an endorsement of any religious or non-religious view. They are all just hypotheses.]

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Interesting points, Ray. However, I suspect we are in grave danger of veering off into a religious discussion rather than a language one.

Status
Not open for further replies.