Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
my last question was about the usage of 'fight' and 'quarrel 'and the replies show the usages are different in spoken and written english so in future this should also be made clear wheather we use the word in spoken or written english!:-D

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
my last question was about the usage of 'fight' and 'quarrel 'and the replies show the usages are different in spoken and written english so in future this should also be made clear wheather we use the word in spoken or written english!:-D
That's a strange message to have taken away from that thread.
OK, one person, talking of 'weep' and 'quarrel' said, "In my experience, they are not often used in conversationin American English, but they are both used regularly in writing." There was no consensus, or even comment on this.
'Fight' and 'quarrel' are used in both speech and writing, as are most (?all) English words, regardless of any one person's experience of relative usages in one dialect. It would be very misleading if learners started getting the impression that there are "writing words" and "speaking words" in English.

Occasionally, it's relevant to mention a distinction like this (and I'm not claiming that this poster's claim is wrong).
In most cases, though, it would lead to fruitless arguments about the comparative frequency of usage in speech and writing.

PS: The message I took from the thread was that people use "fight" differently. In AusE, you can fight verbally, and most people do. You can fight over the internet, you can fight in court, and you can fight for your rights - all without physical violence.
You can also fight on the beaches, usually necessitating violence.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.