Other
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
I wrote a dialogue :

A. Does your wife drive the car by herself ?
B. No, our son drives for her.

I'm not sure that I used the word drive correctly or not.
Please correct it for me.

Lorenzo66

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Actually, the use of the verb drive in each sentence is correct.
In the first one, drive acts like a transitive verb with the direct object being car.
In the second one, the verb drive is intransitive denoting an action that involves the operation of a vehicle -- or any other object for that matter.
Consider the game of golf in which one player is unable to drive the ball because of a shoulder injury. So, he has a substitute doing the driving for him while he is able to do the putting for himself.
Any more information that is needed I will gladly supply. I am driven to help you.
L J

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Another transitive use of 'drive' is in the idiomatic expression 'drive a hard bargain' [=negotiate vigorously.

Another transitive use, that has become current nowadays is the business jargon 'I want you to drive this program' [=make sure it happens]

Yet another - rather less focused - version is popular among advertisers. A while ago there was a Ford advert with the punning slogan 'Everything we do is driven by you'. (A service that emptied cess-pits adapted this slogan, using another pun [on 'do'], painted on the side of their lorry:

'Everything you do is driven by us'.​
;-)

b

Status
Not open for further replies.