Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I include myself in the '(most) native speakers'. I would not accept as correct that from a student, and I am more liberal than some of my colleagues.
Same here.

And for those of our readers who missed the mischievousness of fivejedjon's answer (at least, I think there was a twinkle in his eye ;-)), what I wouldn't do is 'accept that as correct from a student', or - if I was on my best behaviour (keeping 'accept as correct' and not splitting it with an object - as prescribed by some grammars) 'I would not accept as correct a word-order such as that, if one of my pupils used it'.

b

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
And for those of our readers who missed the mischievousness of fivejedjon's answer (at least, I think there was a twinkle in his eye ;-)...)
Thank you for your charitable thought, Bob, but honesty compels me to admit that it was a blunder. When I read your post, I looked back at mine and shuddered.

I can't believe that I wrote that, previewed it, and then read the submitted message, all without noticing it.

A short time ago, I wrote to TheParser in another thread, "Teachers can make mistakes". I didn't realise that I would quickly become a good example of this.
:oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.