Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Please teach me the meaning of the below sentences.

1. I put on water ( and heated it).

2. I put on coffee.

* #1. is shown in Raymond Carver's story first, and many in Web. # 2. is shown in web, and I listed to compare it with #1.:roll:

Does #1 mean that put any container of water on some device like heater, or does "put on " here mean just "prepare" ? Or ? In case of water/ coffee, same meaning? ?

Thanks in advance.

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"I put on water" usually means that someone is heating up water for tea or some other hot beverage (like cocoa).

"I put on coffee" means that they've poured in the grounds, added the appropriate amount of water and pushed the "on" button on their coffee maker. In the US, coffee is such a common beverage that almost every household has some type of coffee maker, so to "put on coffee" means to brew a fresh pot of coffee. :)

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"I put on water" usually means that someone is heating up water for tea or some other hot beverage (like cocoa).

"I put on coffee" means that they've poured in the grounds, added the appropriate amount of water and pushed the "on" button on their coffee maker. In the US, coffee is such a common beverage that almost every household has some type of coffee maker, so to "put on coffee" means to brew a fresh pot of coffee. :)

Well, I think I must disagree in one sense with the "put on" statements as presented. Right or wrong (that is, with regard to the ancient rule of not ending a sentence with a preposition) I think you would more often hear "I put (the) coffee on" and "I put (the) water on". Sometimes, I defer to "the popular usage rules" axiom.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Well, I think I must disagree in one sense with the "put on" statements as presented. Right or wrong (that is, with regard to the ancient rule of not ending a sentence with a preposition) I think you would more often hear "I put (the) coffee on" and "I put (the) water on". Sometimes, I defer to "the popular usage rules" axiom.
I agree with you that 'put the coffee on' is more often heard, though with a longer object we are more likely to use on earlier: 'I'll put on the soup that was left over from dinner yesterday.'

A pedant might feel that on was adverb here, and so not subject to the 'rule'.

Chiyokz

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Thank you for the answers/comments. I understood the basic meaning, when I use those I will be careful considering the situation, casual/formal.

Status
Not open for further replies.