If you put some ingredients in the refrigerator overnight, ...

MichaelLu2000

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Does the sentence in bold sound grammatically and semantically correct to native speakers of English?

A: I have to work overtime tomorrow so I think we will need to order pizza for dinner.
B: No worries. I will be home early. If you put some ingredients in the refrigerator tonight, I can cook tomorrow night.

Last edited:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Hi there,
Do you have another account on this forum?

MichaelLu2000

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Hi there,
Do you have another account on this forum?
I want to delete the other one. My other email address won't be usable in a few days.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Please confirm by telling us the name of your other account.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have to know what the question is before I can attempt an answer.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I had to look at the OP again (obviously).

Çontext is important. Probably both of them know what ingredients are being referred to. Also, it is obviously not meant literally. Is it possible? Definitely. In the right situation it would perfectly natural. Keep in mind that the person who has to understand what is being said is the person being spoken to.

MichaelLu2000

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
I had to look at the OP again (obviously).

Çontext is important. Probably both of them know what ingredients are being referred to. Also, it is obviously not meant literally. Is it possible? Definitely. In the right situation it would perfectly natural. Keep in mind that the person who has to understand what is being said is the person being spoken to.
Err…..so you mean the sentence in bold is grammatically and semantically correct?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes. It's OK.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

MichaelLu2000

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
@MichaelLu2000 Tell me what word I left out. (#10.)
😊
Thank you for your replies. By the way, can I use the following sentences as well:

1. If it rains tonight, I can’t play basketball in the park tomorrow. The ground will be wet.
2. If it rains tonight, I can’t play basketball in the park.
3. If you don’t come to my party, I can’t introduce you to my family tomorrow.
4. If I don’t buy some apples tonight, I can’t make some delicious apple juice tomorrow.

I think the first one sounds weird with “can’t” while the rest are fine, but I am not sure.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you for your replies. By the way, can I use the following sentences as well?

1. If it rains tonight, I can’t won't be able to play basketball in the park tomorrow. The ground will be wet.
2. If it rains tonight, I can’t play basketball in the park. That's OK if you were planning to play basketball tonight.
3. If you don’t come to my party, I can’t won't be able to introduce you to my family tomorrow.
4. If I don’t buy some apples tonight, I can’t won't be able to make some delicious apple juice tomorrow.

I think the first one sounds weird with “can’t” while the rest are fine, but I am not sure.
See above. You need to use the future form of "can't" when talking about the future.

MichaelLu2000

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
See above. You need to use the future form of "can't" when talking about the future.
Agree. Actually I think they all sound better with “won’t be able to”

It seems “can” and “will be able to” are interchangeable but “can’t” and “won’t be able to” are not

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Agree. Actually I think they all sound better with “won’t be able to”.
It seems “can” and “will be able to” are interchangeable but “can’t” and “won’t be able to” are not.
I would prefer "won't be able to" in #2 but, depending on context, "can't" is possible.

"Can" and "will be able to" are not always interchangeable. "Can" is the simple present. The related form is "am able to". As always, context is very important.

MichaelLu2000

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
I would prefer "won't be able to" in #2 but, depending on context, "can't" is possible.

"Can" and "will be able to" are not always interchangeable. "Can" is the simple present. The related form is "am able to". As always, context is very important.
Yeah I know it depends on the context, but it seems “can’t” and “won’t be able to” are far less interchangeable than “can” and “will be able to”

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yeah I know it depends on the context, but it seems “can’t” and “won’t be able to” are far less interchangeable than “can” and “will be able to”
You're still missing the fact that "can" is the present simple and "will be able to" is the future voice. Of course they're not interchangeable!