Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I already got an answer for the below question, but I'm still not sure why try to makes possible unsuccessful meaning, while try ~ing means a suggestion. Can anyone answer me?

========================================
Can we say try to in this example or not?

If she won't take your calls, try sending her an email that says how sorry you are.

I think try to send also makes sense. "try to" is about making a serious endeavor or effot, and "try ~ing" is about checking out if something is suitable or possible to do.

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I already got an answer for the below question, but I'm still not sure why try to makes possible unsuccessful meaning, while try ~ing means a suggestion. Can anyone answer me?

========================================
Can we say try to in this example or not? no
If she won't take your calls, try sending her an email that says how sorry you are.

I think try to send also makes sense. "try to" is about making a serious endeavor or effot, and "try ~ing" is about checking out if something is suitable or possible to do.
I read the first thread on this question, and I agree that only "try sending" is correct.

You won't try to send her an email; you will send her an email. (if you act on the suggestion)

The sentence with "try sending" means '..........., try to communicate with her by sending her an email that says how sorry you are.'

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I read the first thread on this question, and I agree that only "try sending" is correct.

You won't try to send her an email; you will send her an email. (if you act on the suggestion)

The sentence with "try sending" means '..........., try to communicate with her by sending her an email that says how sorry you are.'
So, though 'try sending' is far more likely, it is not impossible in the right context. It could be, for example, that the speaker knows that the listener does not have ready access to the internet. In that case 'try to...' suggests 'see if you can find some access to the internet so that you can...'.

crazYgeeK

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
I think it's just for the semantic problem, not for the grammatical problem. (both are grammatically correct, but not the same in meaning).
I think, "try doing something" means you may have some things to do in some condition, but you will choose the best to do. (you know the best by yourself or by some one as a suggestion). I mean the problem here is "what to do" no matter how hard it is or how to do it.
"try to do something" means you have only a thing here and your problem is "how to do" it or it's not easy for you to do that thing. Therefore it needs so much your effort to finish that!

That's all my thought! Don't believe it until some teacher gives a comment!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I think, "try doing something" means you may have some things to do in some condition, but you will choose the best to do. (you know the best by yourself or by some one as a suggestion). I mean the problem here is "what to do" no matter how hard it is or how to do it.
"try to do something" means you have only a thing here and your problem is "how to do" it or it's not easy for you to do that thing. Therefore it needs so much your effort to finish that!

That's all my thought! Don't believe it until some teacher gives a comment!
I don't think that there is any question of choosing the best to do.
If you try to do something, you simply make the effort to do it, and it may not require much effort.
If you try doing something, you do it - to see what the result is.

Status
Not open for further replies.