Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
"In an appearance on ABC's Good Morning America, Admiral Mike Mullen rejected threats by some members of Congress to cut the $1.3 billion of annual U.S. aid to Egypt if a government transition does not happen soon."

What does "theat" here mean exactly? Thank you very much!

"In an appearance on ABC's Good Morning America, Admiral Mike Mullen rejected threats by some members of Congress to cut the $1.3 billion of annual U.S. aid to Egypt if a government transition does not happen soon."

What does "theat" here mean exactly? Thank you very much!

Threat | Define Threat at Dictionary.com
A threat has two components.

1) It is something that someone says they will do if a certain situation or condition happens or fails to happen.
2) It is a threat to the person or people who oppose the possible action in 1).

I find the use of 'rejected the threats' more interesting. How can an Admiral 'reject' the threats of US congressmen?
Is he saying:
- the congressmen won't really carry them out?
- he disagrees with the idea of threats?
- the Navy won't let the congressmen carry them out?
Is he speaking for the Egyptians (who, surely, are the ones to reject the threats or not).

I find the use of 'rejected the threats' more interesting. How can an Admiral 'reject' the threats of US congressmen?
Is he saying:
- the congressmen won't really carry them out?
- he disagrees with the idea of threats?
- the Navy won't let the congressmen carry them out?
Is he speaking for the Egyptians (who, surely, are the ones to reject the threats or not).

I think he is saying Congress won't act that way. One Congressman can't set foreign policy (or control the purse strings) by himself.

I think he is saying Congress won't act that way. One Congressman can't set foreign policy (or control the purse strings) by himself.
"... some members of Congress ..."
Do the military make foreign policy in US?

"... some members of Congress ..."
Do the military make foreign policy in US?

No. The President, as Commander-in-Chief and Head of State makes has executive control of foreign policy. Congress has oversight and is responsible for funding everything.

Thank you very much! Looks like it's not just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back