Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
"Fleeing high costs,strict work rules and actor and writer strikes at home, US studios are farming out more work to locales from Cambodia to Canada."

Does "strikes at"refer to an actor or writer or both of them? Why there is no article before actor or writer? What's the meaning of "strict rules and actor and writer"?

Coolfootluke

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Fleeing high costs,strict work rules and actor and writer strikes at home, US studios are farming out more work to locales from Cambodia to Canada."

Does "strikes at"refer to an actor or writer or both of them? Why there is no article before actor or writer? What's the meaning of "strict rules and actor and writer"?
I am not a teacher.

The studios are fleeing three things:
1. high costs
2. strict work rules
3. strikes, both actor strikes and writer strikes

These three things are found at home, in the US.

There is no article because "actor" and "writer" are being used as adjectives.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I am not a teacher.

The studios are fleeing three things:
1. high costs
2. strict work rules
3. strikes, both actor strikes and writer strikes

These three things are found at home, in the US.

There is no article because "actor" and "writer" are being used as adjectives.

"Stikes" means they are not going to work unless they get more money?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
"Stikes" means they are not going to work unless they get more money?
Yes, usually. Sometimes people (go on) strike for other reasons than money, improved working conditions for example, but strikes about money are quite common.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
This is a very hard sentence to construe, as in 'Fleeing high costs,strict work rules and actor and writer strikes at home' there are seven possible nouns and a verbal noun. A comma before the first 'and' would help, but not much. The key is to know that the last six words (four of which could be nouns), and that the phrasal verb 'strikes at' is not involved, so that the whole phrase means 'strikes [=withdrawal of labour] [by] actors and writers [that are taking place] at home'. ;-)

b

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
This is a very hard sentence to construe, as in 'Fleeing high costs,strict work rules and actor and writer strikes at home' there are seven possible nouns and a verbal noun. A comma before the first 'and' would help, but not much. The key is to know that the last six words (four of which could be nouns), and that the phrasal verb 'strikes at' is not involved, so that the whole phrase means 'strikes [=withdrawal of labour] [by] actors and writers [that are taking place] at home'. ;-)

b

When I first read it I thought it was the phrasal verb involved "strikes at". But than I started wondering that had it been the phrasal verb, it would have been "strike at".:roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.