Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
We shouldn't be supposed to have fun when it comes to such serious matters.

Can we use the construction of 'shouldn't be supposed to' (with the repeated meaning of 'should')?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Not a teacher,

Why not? I think it's acceptable. At least it's not wrong.

I do not recommend this usage, but it seems acceptable in such situations as:

Luke: From what the Director said, it seems that we are supposed to have fun when we interview prospective trainees.
Emma: We shouldn't be supposed to have fun when it comes to such serious matters.

The italicised words would probably be emphasised.

:up: I can't think of any reason for using it in the ordinary case, when it's just meant to mean 'we shouldn't'; at best it's unnecessarily confusing.

b

We shouldn't be supposed to have fun when it comes to such serious matters.

Can we use the construction of 'shouldn't be supposed to' (with the repeated meaning of 'should')?

Thank you in advance.
It's rather awkward, I agree. If repeated meaning is what you are looking for, try shouldn't be allowed to.

:up: There is a case for using it when 'supposed' means something else: 'A man who offers to referee his son's football team on a Saturday morning shouldn't be supposed to be a paedophile until he's undergone (and sometimes paid for) a CRB check'.

b

:up: There is a case for using it when 'supposed' means something else: 'A man who offers to referee his son's football team on a Saturday morning shouldn't be supposed to be a paedophile until he's undergone (and sometimes paid for) a CRB check'.
Good one.

As you say, 'supposed' means something else - more like 'believed'.

I am not a teacher.

My first instinct was to make it, "We aren't supposed to have fun when it comes to such serious matters." BobK's variation aside, the original is pretty wrong looking.

My first instinct was to make it, "We aren't supposed to have fun when it comes to such serious matters." BobK's variation aside, the original is pretty wrong looking.
I agree. However, it's possible, in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back