Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
United States
Hi, there.
What is the difference between get me a drink and give me a drink, if there is any? I feel that get it = go and bring it, give it = just put you hand towards it and pass it to me. Am I right?

Thank you, for you reply.

Hi, there.
What is the difference between get me a drink and give me a drink, if there is any? I feel that get it = go and bring it, give it = just put you hand towards it and pass it to me. Am I right?

Thank you, for you reply.

You're correct about get me a drink.

Give me a drink is just a generic request for a drink. It can involve going to the kitchen and getting it from the fridge etc. It's also something you can say to a bartender.

Just putting your hand out and passing it is pass me a drink.

Pretending I'm on the plane and asking an airhostess to get me an extra pillow, would it be fine or give me an extra pillow would be more polite?
Thanks.

Pretending I'm on the plane and asking an airhostess to get me an extra pillow, would it be fine or give me an extra pillow would be more polite?
Thanks.

They mean the same thing. They both sound kind of brusque. More polite version is "Can you please get/give me an extra pillow?"

Remember to say please!

Of course I do, though I put please at the end of the sentence.

Even so, I would still use could/can you..... I can't see much difference between get and give, though would generally use get.

Just a side note, which, after our dairymaid discussion could be relevant: The preferred term in the US is flight attendant, not air hostess (and certainly no longer stewardess).

So, let me arise a question about that.
Is air hostess used anywhere, e.g. in the UK?
If I utter air hostess in the US will they understand?

Thank you, Barb_D, I've found your side note very instructive.

You would certainly be understood, but the person might think it was a little "quaint" (which is like being old-fashioned and cute at the same time).

On the main theme of your question, I think "give me" is used somewhat rarely in my experience for the physical things. It brings to mind being caught passing a note in class and the teacher marching up to you, sticking out here hand and saying "Give that note to me right now!"

I do think it works when we are already in proximity to one another and the thing being asked for is right there with me. For example, I'm holding several tools while you install something and you say "Give me the flathead screwdriver, would you?" (A friendly tone of voice would make this sound less impolite than it reads. I'm a big user of please and "could you" in most situations. )

Last edited:
"Give me the flathead screwdriver, would you?" (A friendly tone of voice would make this sound less polite than it reads.)
Did you mean more polite here?

Oops! Less impolite, more polite. I'll go fix my typo. So sorry!

So, let me arise a question about that.
Is air hostess used anywhere, e.g. in the UK?
If I utter air hostess in the US will they understand?

Thank you, Barb_D, I've found your side note very instructive.

People still say it, though Barb_D's point about flight attendant applies there too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back