Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
He does a lot of sport to get fit.

Can we use the following constructions to express the meaning similar to the above sentence?
do sport, do exercise, play sports, take/have exercise? take sport(s)? have sport(s)? do/have/take a workout?

Are there any other phrases to convey the same meaning?

Thank you in advance.

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
He does a lot of sport to get fit.

Can we use the following constructions to express the meaning similar to the above sentence?
do sport, do exercise, play sports, take/have exercise? take sport(s)? have sport(s)? do/have/take a workout?

Are there any other phrases to convey the same meaning?

Thank you in advance.

NOT A TEACHER.

In North America the phrase is "do sports." One could, however, argue that there's a difference in meaning between "I do a lot of sport" and "I do a lot of sports." The first sentence means that you often engage in sporting activities, while the second suggests that you do many different sports. Hopefully other members - British and American - will provide some insight.

You cannot say "I do exercise," unless it's a reply to the question "Do you exercise?" Use "exercise" as a verb.

Apart from "play sports" and "have a workout," the constructions you provided are unidiomatic. To me, working out suggests lifting weights, but it can also include doing cardio (e.g., running on a treadmill).

joham

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thanks so much, Allen165. After reading your posting, I looked in a grammar book written by three American writers and they say:
You can say either 'practice sports' or 'do exercise':
I do a lot of exercise in the morning, before coming to work.

So it seems that North American natives have a few different ways to express this idea of 'sport', doesn't it?

Thank you again.

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
Thanks so much, Allen165. After reading your posting, I looked in a grammar book written by three American writers and they say:
You can say either 'practice sports' or 'do exercise':
I do a lot of exercise in the morning, before coming to work.

So it seems that North American natives have a few different ways to express this idea of 'sport', doesn't it?

Thank you again.

NOT A TEACHER.

"I practice sports" is not something I'd say, unless the context were rather formal. But you could say it. "Practice" is often used with specific sports (e.g., "I'm off to soccer practice") or activities (e.g., I have to practice free-throw shooting).

Status
Not open for further replies.