Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. Roselin's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Sep 2008
    • Posts: 2,641
    #1

    FIGURES OF SPEECH

    Can I say the following sentences? Did I use the figures of speech correctly? Please tell.

    I am to describe a picture. The picture is of a crowded market place

    1)What a crowded market place!
    2) There are as many people as in a fair. ( similie)
    3) The people are busy like a bee. ( metaphor)
    4) The fruits look so fresh, they seem to have just taken a bath.( personification)
    5) There must be thousands of fruits over there.( hyperbole)
    6)Oh no, tip! tip!, rain drops fall, the market place is totally empty now! (onomatopoeia)

  2. konungursvia's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Mar 2009
    • Posts: 5,158
    #2

    Re: FIGURES OF SPEECH

    All correct, but we spell 2 "simile". 1 is an interjection.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Thai
      • Home Country:
      • Thailand
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand

    • Join Date: Apr 2011
    • Posts: 87
    #3

    Re: FIGURES OF SPEECH

    NOT A TEACHER!

    Something does not sound right about the people and a bee. How could a plural be compared to a singular? It seems wrong to me.

    If I were you, I would use The people are busy like bees.

    I hope it helps.

  3. freezeframe's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Mar 2011
    • Posts: 2,113
    #4

    Re: FIGURES OF SPEECH

    I disagree with it being all correct. 3 is not a metaphor. You should re-check the definition of a metaphor.

  4. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,103
    #5

    Re: FIGURES OF SPEECH

    Quote Originally Posted by Roselin View Post
    Can I say the following sentences? Did I use the figures of speech correctly? Please tell.

    I am to describe a picture. The picture is of a crowded market place

    1)What a crowded market place!
    2) There are as many people as in a fair. ( similie)
    3) The people are busy like a bee. ( metaphor)
    4) The fruits look so fresh, they seem to have just taken a bath.( personification)
    5) There must be thousands of fruits over there.( hyperbole)
    6)Oh no, tip! tip!, rain drops fall, the market place is totally empty now! (onomatopoeia)
    3) is not a metaphor. It's a simile. Similes use words like 'as' and 'like'. Metaphors say that one thing is another.
    "The people are bees buzzing around the stalls of vegetables."
    "It is the east, and Juliet is the sun." (Shakespeare)

    Are you sure your task was to describe a picture of a marketplace? Why would you make a list of figurative tropes in response to a descriptive task? (Onomatopoeias don't occur in pictures; there aren't thousands of fruits in the picture; you can't assess how busy the people are.)


  5. Roselin's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Sep 2008
    • Posts: 2,641
    #6

    Re: FIGURES OF SPEECH

    The people are puppets. ( How about this one? Does it go with the context I mentioned above?)

  6. Roselin's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Sep 2008
    • Posts: 2,641
    #7

    Re: FIGURES OF SPEECH

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    3) is not a metaphor. It's a simile. Similes use words like 'as' and 'like'. Metaphors say that one thing is another.
    "The people are bees buzzing around the stalls of vegetables."
    "It is the east, and Juliet is the sun." (Shakespeare)

    Are you sure your task was to describe a picture of a marketplace? Why would you make a list of figurative tropes in response to a descriptive task? (Onomatopoeias don't occur in pictures; there aren't thousands of fruits in the picture; you can't assess how busy the people are.)
    Thanks, Raymott!

  7. freezeframe's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Mar 2011
    • Posts: 2,113
    #8

    Re: FIGURES OF SPEECH

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    Are you sure your task was to describe a picture of a marketplace? Why would you make a list of figurative tropes in response to a descriptive task? (Onomatopoeias don't occur in pictures; there aren't thousands of fruits in the picture; you can't assess how busy the people are.)
    Descriptions can be creative, no?

  8. konungursvia's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Mar 2009
    • Posts: 5,158
    #9

    Re: FIGURES OF SPEECH

    Quote Originally Posted by freezeframe View Post
    I disagree with it being all correct. 3 is not a metaphor. You should re-check the definition of a metaphor.
    Yes, you're right, I guess I read through too quickly.

  9. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 16,038
    #10

    Re: FIGURES OF SPEECH

    ... Incidentally, where does 'tip tip' come from? Common onomatopoeic representations of rain are 'drip drip', 'drip drop', 'splish splash' and others. An engine cooling down goes 'tick tick'; but I've never met 'tip tip'

    b

Similar Threads

  1. [Grammar] figures of speech
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-Mar-2009, 01:11
  2. figures of speech
    By cutiekuku in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-Nov-2008, 15:01
  3. Figures Of Speech
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 28-Sep-2008, 12:27
  4. what are figures of speech
    By khushboo in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 18-Jul-2007, 09:53
  5. Figures of speech
    By Asad khan balooch in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 14-Oct-2006, 08:39

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •