Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Olmsted had been determined to create the illusion of the countryside in the heart of New York city, creating a place such as Central Park. The fact that skyscrapers are now visible.............(over, above, beyond, across) the tops of the park's tallest trees would certainly have horrified him!

THE EXERCISE GIVES THE PREPOSITIONS I HAVE WRITTEN IN BRACKETS, BUT THE ONE I HAVE CHOSEN IS NOT AMONG THEM; THE ONE I HAVE THOUGHT ABOUT IS FROM. DO YOU THINK FROM ALSO SOUNDS GOOD ABOVE IN THE SENTENCE?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Caps Lock off, please. There's no need to shout.

If you want to say 'visible from the tops of the trees' you would have up there at treetop level.

Rover

dilodi83

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Yes I know that the meaning would be different, but I was wondering if it was grammatically possible...:)

p.s. what do you mean by: "Caps Lock off, please. There's no need to shout". :shock:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
p.s. what do you mean by: "Caps Lock off, please. There's no need to shout". :shock:
If you write everything in capital letters, which you can do easily if you have pressed the 'Caps Lock' key (in which case the Caps Lock is on), then it gives the same impression in writing AS SHOUTING GIVES IN SPEAKING. So, Rover asked you to to turn your Caps Lock off.

dilodi83

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Ops, I'm sorry, I didn't know it....;-) I didn't do it on purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.