Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
I have a question about the word “belong”.
This word can’t be used in a passive sentence, can it?

For example, I want to say (in a formal document, like guidance issued by the government):

“…at a medical institution to which a doctor who has agreed to cooperate in the immunization program in response to the request by the mayor of the municipality belongs”.

Obviously, the blue part is too long, and “to which” and “belong” are too far from each other.

But I don’t think it’s correct say “...at a medical institution which is belonged to by a doctor who has agreed to cooperate in the immunization program in response to the request by the mayor of the municipality”.

Are there any good ways to say “which is belonged to correctly?

(If the whole sentence is necessary, this is it.)
The mayor of each municipality should pay benefits in accordance with the status of the health damage, if the vaccine recipient goes into a state of impairment or dies after receiving the vaccine at a medical institution with a doctor who has agreed to cooperate in the immunization program in response to the request by the mayor of the municipality, and if the health damage is considered to have occurred due to the immunization with the vaccine.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No, it doesn't work that way. You may belong to a group, but the group has you as a member.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
...at a medical institution that a doctor who has agreed to cooperate in the immunization program in response to the request by the mayor of the municipality belongs to.

Or find another verb. At a medical institution associated with a doctor who has...

Or rewrite. One doctor has agreed... municipality. The [whatever it is] will occur at the medical facility this doctor belongs to.

crazYgeeK

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
JUST A NORMAL STUDENT
I think if a verb is intransitive only, it will be only in active sentences correctly, "belong" is an example of an intransitive verb, won't it? So there are many other verbs working the same way to "belong"!
Thank you!

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
JUST A NORMAL STUDENT
I think if a verb is intransitive only, it will be only in active sentences correctly. "Belong" is an example of an intransitive verb, isn't it? So there are many other verbs working the same way to "belong"!
Thank you!

Yes, "belong" is intransitive, and yes, only transitive verbs can be used in a passive structure. And yes, many, MANY verbs cannot be used to form the passive because they cannot take a direct object.

pinkie9

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Barb_D;763365 [FONT=Arial said:
Or find another verb. At a medical institution associated with a doctor who has...[/FONT]

Thank you.
Are there any verbs that have a meaning closer to "belong" than "associated"?
I think "belong" and "associated" have different meanings in this case.

Last edited:

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
At the hospital of a doctor who has agreed ....

pinkie9

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Thank you, but doesn't "of" cause misunderstanding that the doctor owns the hospital?

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I don't know of any hospitals owned by doctors, though there may be some in the US. Outside of the US, no one would interpret it that way.

pinkie9

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
I don't know of any hospitals owned by doctors, though there may be some in the US. Outside of the US, no one would interpret it that way.

But what I wrote is a "medical institution (which can be a small clinic owned by a doctor)", not a "hospital".

How about "a medical institution with a doctor"? Would it mean the doctor belongs to the institution?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No, that doesn't work.

The medical facility OF works okay.

pinkie9

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
No, that doesn't work.

The medical facility OF works okay.

Why? Could you explain the reason if it's not too much trouble?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Of" has more uses than showing possession. Just as konungursvia said, it's a good choice if you won't rewrite the passage. Your original was okay, though I would have said "that... belongs to" at the end instead of "to which... belongs."

pinkie9

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Status
Not open for further replies.