looking after one's children is in keeping with the dictates of natural selection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
How can "looking after one's children" be following natural selection? I've read the whole paragraph, but it doesn't seem logical, just making confustion. Can someone explain from any perspective?

ex)We see it as natural that parents should make sacrifices to look after their children, and that children should respect their parents. This is not surprising, for such behavior is a result of the mode of action of natural selection. Natural selection operates to ensure that individuals behave in a way that maximizes their lifetime reproductive success and also that of their descendants and close relatives. The genetic constitution of those who leave more healthy offspring than others will be better represented in succeeding generations. In looking after their children, parents are ensuring the survival of individuals who behave in the same way as they do. And they are likely to pass on similar genetic material. Thus looking after one's children is in keeping with the dictates of natural selection.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
A way for a species to survive is to insure that the young live long enough to reproduce. By "looking" (caring or tending) after their children the parents are following an instinct (natural selection) which forces them to keep the species alive. If a person acts in a manner similar to his parents, there is a good chance that this person will live long enough to reproduce.

Thank you, but I still have the doubt.
1. " The genetic constitution of those who leave more healthy offspring than others will be better represented in succeeding generations"
- If the parents are tall, handsome, good-minded, will these genetic traits be shown in the succeeding generations? But how's it related to "natural selection"?

2.If a person acts in a manner similar to his parents, there is a good chance that this person will live long enough to reproduce.
- What kind of behavior do children have to follow to achieve this? I don't get it. What kind of acts does it mean for children to follow?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If you do NOT look after your children, and they are eaten by lions or wander off and fall off a cliff (or face more modern dangers), they will not live long enough to have their own children and pass down your genes.

If you DO look after them and prepare them well to face their futures, they will be able to have their own children and pass down your genes.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
If you do NOT look after your children, and they are eaten by lions or wander off and fall off a cliff (or face more modern dangers), they will not live long enough to have their own children and pass down your genes.

If you DO look after them and prepare them well to face their futures, they will be able to have their own children and pass down your genes.

Actually, I thought it from the perspective of "survival of the fittest" which dictates that only stronger people or animals can survive the environment, So it strongly dominated my mind that even if you care after your children so well, but if you are a weak, incompetent person compared to others, how can you guarantee you can pass on your traits through the generations?
But there seems to be another aspect of the theory in this paragraph that I don't recognize. Sorry for bothering you even with a very specialized topic.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You cannot guarantee they will do well if do look after them, but you can pretty much guarantee they will not do well if you do not.

Status
Not open for further replies.