Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
I got to take a squirt.

Is this a polite and common way to say that you have to go to the bathroom?

Squirt means, according to my dictionary:

squirt 2 noun [ countable ]
1 a fast thin stream of liquid squirt of a squirt of water

2 spoken an insulting word for a short person, especially someone who is annoying you

shroob

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Is this a polite and common way to say that you have to go to the bathroom?

Squirt means, according to my dictionary:

Not a teacher only a native.

A 'squirt' could refer to going to the toilet in this context, though it is neither polite nor common. I can imagine a little boy saying it to his friends.

If you wanted a polite way to say you need to go to the bathroom, you could say:
'I am going to the restroom/bathroom.'
'I have to use the toilet.' Is also acceptable.
Or:
'May I use your restroom/bathroom?' If you are asking permission.

An old fashioned way of saying that you have to go to the toilet used by women is, 'I am going to powder my nose'. Please note men do not say this.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
A 'squirt' could refer to going to the toilet in this context, though it is neither polite nor common. I can imagine a little boy saying it to his friends.

In saying this, would the boy be trying to sound cool?

shroob

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
In saying this, would the boy be trying to sound cool?

Not a teacher only a native.

He could be. What context did you hear it in? Or have you just made it up?

Just to point out, 'I have to take a squirt' sounds better (gramatically) to me, though I wouldn't use this phrase either :lol:.

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
This is one of many synonyms males use when referring to urination, and it probably sounds "cool" to them and will often elicit chuckles of appreciation from the other males in the crowd, but most females cringe a bit and find the phrase a bit crude. I suppose that's why women always use euphemisms such as "I'm going to powder my nose" when retreating to the lavatory......we are reluctant to acknowledge that we are subject to natural bodily functions.

However, in answer to your question, yes it is somewhat "cool" and at least mildly humorous when a male announces to his cohorts as he exits to visit the toilet "I've gotta take a squirt" or "I'm gonna go drain the Beast" or "I've gotta take a leak." :roll: It is not at all polite, it is something men say to one another in a casual fashion (never in a formal business situation) or sometimes in mixed company purely so the men can laugh at the embarrassment of the women after their announcement.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
He could be. What context did you hear it in? Or have you just made it up?
Thank you for the answer. (It's not me who heard it. Chicken Sandwich might have. :))

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
My dear, departed (thank heavens) grandfather used to disappear through the back door to "strain me taters"...........(potatoes)

When I first read Ouisch's post , I thought "Bloody women - always prejudiced about male (i.e. natural) things". Only a few seconds of reflection made me re-phrase that to "Bloody women - right again".

We males do seem to take a childish delight in dirtifying natural fuctions, or at least making it seem that there is something salaciously humorous about them. If we wish to p*ss and amuse our male colleagues (especially if there are females around) we need only to express the need to point Percy at the porcelain or shake hands with an old friend. :lol::lol:... :roll:. If we really want to bring the house down, we can ask of a (preferably female) colleague returning from a visit to the toilet, "Everything come out all right?"

It says something about our attitude to something that most of us need to do several times a day ( many times a day when you reach my age) that I felt that it might be appropriate to write p*ss , with the asterisk standing in for the ninth letter of the alphabet. Frenchmen, who happily go to the pissoir, and Germans who strain their taters at the Pissort must wonder at our delicacy.

Status
Not open for further replies.