English Teacher
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Armenia
Can you please tell me the meaning of falling soul in this context :

(( the story is about a boy who rises as a henchman in a ruthless tycoon's palace, only to crave salvation for his
fallen soul))

is it like falling angel

meaning : exiled . I am wondring .

I always appreciate your great help .
:lol:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Can you please tell me the meaning of falling soul in this context :

(( the story is about a boy who rises as a henchman in a ruthless tycoon's palace, only to crave salvation for his
fallen soul))

is it like falling angel

meaning : exiled . I am wondring .

I always appreciate your great help .
:lol:

What do you understand by the word "soul" here?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
The man is worried about his eternal soul. I'll assume he's Christian, though a similar concept probably exists in Islam.
To understand this, one has to assume, for argument, that souls survive death, and that the destination of one's soul (Heaven or Hell, or a few other places in some denominations) depends on how one lives one's life. "Salvation" is a Christian concept. Man is born with "original sin" and his soul is only saved by his belief in Christ (and some would say, by actions consistent with such belief).
This man has done things that he believes has alienated him from God. Such a person is said to have "fallen" from God's grace - hence "fallen soul". It's not only angels that can fall from grace.

SanMar

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I would add that it is also sometimes just used to refer to someone who has done stuff that he or she thinks is ethically/morally questionable and/or wrong. The focus less so(or not at all) on the religious origins/use of the word, more on the guilt or awareness of the person in question.

Not a teacher.

:)

nora2000

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Armenia
The man is worried about his eternal soul. I'll assume he's Christian, though a similar concept probably exists in Islam.
To understand this, one has to assume, for argument, that souls survive death, and that the destination of one's soul (Heaven or Hell, or a few other places in some denominations) depends on how one lives one's life. "Salvation" is a Christian concept. Man is born with "original sin" and his soul is only saved by his belief in Christ (and some would say, by actions consistent with such belief).
This man has done things that he believes has alienated him from God. Such a person is said to have "fallen" from God's grace - hence "fallen soul". It's not only angels that can fall from grace.

so it means alienated soul - person

Last edited:

nora2000

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Armenia
I would add that it is also sometimes just used to refer to someone who has done stuff that he or she thinks is ethically/morally questionable and/or wrong. The focus less so(or not at all) on the religious origins/use of the word, more on the guilt or awareness of the person in question.

Not a teacher.

:)

so the exact meaning of fallen here is = ?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
so the exact meaning of fallen here is = ?

Fallen here would mean slipped, lost direction, bad, not of the expected level. His soul should be at a high moral level but it has fallen down below where he would like it to be. He realises that by becoming a henchman his soul has slipped in quality.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Fallen here would mean slipped, lost direction, bad, not of the expected level. His soul should be at a high moral level but it has fallen down below where he would like it to be. He realises that by becoming a henchman his soul has slipped in quality.

:up: This explains another word that Nora queried in her initial post. By slipping from its high moral position the soul is exiled from some good place (in the Christian view, Heaven).

b

PS Of course, strictly, to be exiled from somewhere you have to be there in the first place, which causes all sorts of theological problems :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.