[General] how to ask a specific question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

yoursamal

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Malayalam
Home Country
India
Current Location
UK
Hi, i would like to know how to ask a specific question in english.
For Ex: Obama is the 45th president of US, so what should i ask to get an answer specifying 45th.

For Ex: Obama is the 45th president of US, so what should i ask to get an answer specifying 45th.
There is no specific question for this answer. To find an extensive list of previous posts on this, you can do a search for "whichth" - which isn't a word (yet).

Unless I have misunderstood your question and the previous response by Raymott, I would say: Who is the 45th president if the U.S.?

The question he is looking for something like "What number President is Obama?"

Who is the 45th president of the U.S.?

Who is the 45th president of the U.S.?
That is not the question the OP wants. Have you read the previous posts? The answer to the question in red is "Obama". The poster wants the question for which the answer is "45th".

Dear all,

In this question im not looking for WHO is the president but what place he is the order like 45th or 46th.

Somebody mentioned 'whichth president is Obama ?, and also What number President is Obama?" yes im looking for something like this but is this the correct way of asking or anyother way i can frame this question.

Dear all,

In this question im not looking for WHO is the president but what place he is the order like 45th or 46th.

Somebody mentioned 'whichth president is Obama ?, and also What number President is Obama?" yes im looking for something like this but is this the correct way of asking or anyother way i can frame this question.

There is no standard way to ask this. The suggestion of "whichth" is whimsical and not really a word in English.

NOT A TEACHER

Mona: Excuse me. What number president is Barak Obama?

Tony: Oh, he's the 44th.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back