Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Hello :)

I was always wondering about true definition of 'accent'
I even asked to my country's site but I still confused.
besides, my language's dictionary describe anccent and intonation as a same word.
of course there a slightly defference in describing words at each word but to me, it's all the same meaning!:shock:

All I know is just these sentenses below:
'accent' is distinguishable factor that helps to know whether a person come from.(?)
peaple usually say enlish accent, 'american accent, ireland accent, austrailan accent.
but I don't know what exactly is it to definite.
is it a combination of pronunciation and intonation?

'Intonation' is the sound that goes up and down in a sentence.it gives your english naturaly and calmly. like where you can find in a question sentense.ex)Is it near here(up)?

'pronunciation' is just pronunciation.

In the end, I've just wondering about how to definite 'accent'......(and did I explained properly about intonation?)
could you help me please?....

Last edited:
Speakers from different areas will have different accents, which means that they pronounce things differently. Accent is a combination of all the features of a person's speech- I come from the UK and there are features in the way I speak that are different from speakers from other areas- some are different sounds, there are also differences in intonation- accent is all the pronunciation features of an area together.

Thank you very much! so, it's a mixed consept.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back