Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Lebanon
Current Location
Lebanon
Hello guys

I have confusing questions and I wish to get a clear explanation that make me understand the differences among the questions which I'm going to write them down now

what's the differences among

I'm going to see a movie
I'm going to go see a movie
I'm going to go to see a movie

this's really difficult to understand

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello guys

I have confusing questions and I wish to get a clear explanation that make me understand the differences among the questions which I'm going to write them down now

what's the differences among

I'm going to see a movie
I'm going to go see a movie
I'm going to go to see a movie

this's really difficult to understand

Unless you're walking along while saying it, the first 'going' doesn't reter to movement; it's just a way of saying that the 'seeing' will occur in the future. [Etymologically, that is where this sort of future came from nearly a thousand years ago - actually going.]

I assume you're learning Am Eng, as in Br Eng we don't normally say 'go see'; we say 'go and see'. (The American usage is coming over here, so look out, folks!). In your second sentence the 'going' expresses a future [often a near future*], and the 'go' refers to movement.

Your third sentence is possible but rare. In almost all cases it will sound inappropriate - especially if you have a foreign accent!

*Here's an example: you're sitting around with friends on a rainy day, After a few hours you decide you've got to do something. You get up and say 'I'm going to go [and] see a movie. Anyone coming?'

b

Ms.Bright Student

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
wow ... very nicely explained ....

i believe my stay on this site will enhance my langguage ..

Thanks

ysc1230

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I want to know more about "present continous tense" too.

if someone said "I am going to the church".

So how can I figure out if the person is on his way to the church or will go to the church?

Thanks!!!

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

So how can I figure out if the person is on his way to the church or will go to the church?

Thanks!!!
If somebody says "I'm going to the church" context will probably tell you what is meant. If it's not clear, ask a question to clarify, "Are you going now?", for example.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Thanks!!!

Clarification would be needed.

- What are you doing?
- I'm going to church.
- Are you on your way there now?
- No. I'm leaving in about half an hour.

- What are you doing?
- I'm going to church.
- Can I come to your house first?
- No, I'm already on my way to church.

In the second example, however, if the person was already walking to church, then the more likely answer to "What are you doing?" would be "I'm walking to church" or "I'm on my way to church".

ysc1230

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Clarification would be needed.

- What are you doing?
- I'm going to church.
- Are you on your way there now?
- No. I'm leaving in about half an hour.

- What are you doing?
- I'm going to church.
- Can I come to your house first?
- No, I'm already on my way to church.

In the second example, however, if the person was already walking to church, then the more likely answer to "What are you doing?" would be "I'm walking to church" or "I'm on my way to church".

Refer to the blue color.

I wonder what is the person doing right now. I get little bit confused.
has he arrived to the church?

Thank you so much!!!

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Refer to the blue color.

Thank you so much!!!
No, in that case he has not yet left to go to the church.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Refer to the blue color.

Thank you so much!!!

No, if he had already arrived at the church it would read:

- What are you doing?
- I'm at church.

Some people would say "I'm in church".

Be aware that "I'm going to church" is not exactly the same as "I'm going to a/the church". When we simply say "to/at church" we are usually referring to actual worship, or being at a church service - it suggests religious activity. If we say "I'm going to a church" it means simply "I'm going to visit a church". We might be going to just look at it, take photographs of it, we might be an architecture student doing a project on churches.

Sorry, I've gone a bit off topic!

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
No, if he had already arrived at the church it would read:

- What are you doing?
- I'm at church.

Some people would say "I'm in church".

Be aware that "I'm going to church" is not exactly the same as "I'm going to a/the church". When we simply say "to/at church" we are usually referring to actual worship, or being at a church service - it suggests religious activity. If we say "I'm going to a church" it means simply "I'm going to visit a church". We might be going to just look at it, take photographs of it, we might be an architecture student doing a project on churches.

Sorry, I've gone a bit off topic!
:up: I don't think you have gone off topic; the point is that in answer to the question 'What are you doing' 'I'm going to church' is - in most cases* - not appropriate.

* The possible case would be if 'going to church' was a possibility you had already talked about - say, on a Sunday morning, someone had said 'I don't know how I'll spend the morning. I might go to church. I'll decide nearer the time. When's the last service?'.... About an hour later, someone else asks 'Well, what are you doing? You'd better get moving if you're going to go.' (In this case the 'What are you doing?' means by implication 'What decision have you made?')

But this is a pretty involved case. Most of the time 'I'm going to church' is an inappropriate response to 'What are you doing', unless the speaker is moving.

b

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: I don't think you have /I] gone off topic; the point is that in answer to the question 'What are you doing' 'I'm going to church' is - in most cases* - not appropriate.

* The possible case would be if 'going to church' was a possibility you had already talked about - say, on a Sunday morning, someone had said 'I don't know how I'll spend the morning. I might go to church. I'll decide nearer the time. When's the last service?'.... About an hour later, someone else asks 'Well, what are you doing? You'd better get moving if you're going to go.' (In this case the 'What are you doing?' means by implication 'What decision have you made?'

But this is a pretty involved case. Most of the time 'I'm going to church' is an inappropriate response to 'What are you doing', unless the speaker is moving.

b

You're absolutely right. Had the question been "What are you doing today?" then "I'm going to church" would be fine and would still suggest that the responder had not yet left.

"What are you doing?" should elicit something like "I'm getting ready to go to church".

Status
Not open for further replies.