it gave her a thrill to feel....what does this "it" refer to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

optimistic pessimist

Member Type
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Dear all,

This is a part of a short novel I'm reading.

In the scene, the woman is staying at her hometown and thinking about a coffee shop in New York, where she often visit after work.

...She thought about the coffee shop in New York where she went almost every evening after work. It was on 35th street, just east of Broadway, ...She would sit at a corner table and watched the customers - every age, every nationality, every kind of clothing and hairstyle - come and go. It gave her a thrill to feel she was one thread in such a rich cultural fabric...

I'd like to ask what the bold it referrs to.

Thank you!

OP

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Dear all,

In the scene, the woman is staying [STRIKE]at[/STRIKE] in her hometown and thinking about a coffee shop in New York, where she often visited after work.

...She thought about the coffee shop in New York where she went almost every evening after work. It was on 35th street, just east of Broadway, ...She would sit at a corner table and watched the customers - every age, every nationality, every kind of clothing and hairstyle - come and go. It gave her a thrill to feel she was one thread in such a rich cultural fabric...

"It" = the feeling that she was one thread in such a rich cultural fabric...

Thank you!

OP

b.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Dear all,

In the scene, the woman is staying at her hometown and thinking about a coffee shop in New York, where she often visit after work.

Thank you!

OP

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

(1) The teacher has already given you and me the answer.

(2) May I most respectfully comment on the grammatical point?

(a) I think that the sentence is analyzed as follows:

(i) It (that she was one thead in such a rich cultural fabric) gave

her a thrill.

(a) I guess that many books would say that "that she was one thread in such

a rich cultural thread" is a noun clause in apposition with "it." In other words,

it explains "it."

(3) I guess that one could express the same idea as:

She was thrilled to feel that she was one thread in such a rich cultural thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.