Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
Would you say there's a difference in meaning between these two sentences?

"Similarly as in LISA, two TMs are tracked optically by a laser interferometer."

"Like in LISA, two TMs are tracked optically by a laser interferometer."

To me, "like" means that A is identical to B, whereas "similarly" means there's a high degree of resemblance between A and B.

Thanks!

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The first doesn't work- similarly as is wrong to me.

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
The first doesn't work- similarly as is wrong to me.

So the sentence below would also be wrong in your opinion?

"Transport Operational Programme (TOP). The programme objectives are to support the improvement of transport specifically targeting the investments in the area of Rail infrastructure and Ports. Similarly as in the previous OP, the improvement of the implementation capacity of the Operating Structure (Ministry of Transport) will be supported via technical assistance." (Source: Regional Policy Inforegio - IPA Regional Development Programmes in Turkey.)

Thanks!

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
So the sentence below would also be wrong in your opinion?

"Transport Operational Programme (TOP). The programme objectives are to support the improvement of transport specifically targeting the investments in the area of Rail infrastructure and Ports. Similarly as in the previous OP, the improvement of the implementation capacity of the Operating Structure (Ministry of Transport) will be supported via technical assistance." (Source: Regional Policy Inforegio - IPA Regional Development Programmes in Turkey.)

Thanks!
It's wrong. We say "similar to", not "similar as". I'd consider, "Similarly to the previous OP ..." but this isn't a common collocation. You really mean "Similarly to [the way it worked in] the previous OP ..."
"As in the previous OP ..." is probably the best way, unless it is critical that you make the point that it won't be exactly the same.
In any case, 'like' doesn't mean exactly the same. You can qualify it with adverbs. "Much like in the previous OP..."; "Somewhat like ..."; "A little like ..." etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.