Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
"The hardest and most dramatic hits,arguably,are the elimination of the recently revamped Science,Technology ,and Society Program (where I hold a courtesy appointment and for which I had been teaching disability studies)............"

What does "to hold a coustesy appointment" mean in this sentence?

shroob

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
"The hardest and most dramatic hits,arguably,are the elimination of the recently revamped Science,Technology ,and Society Program (where I hold a courtesy appointment and for which I had been teaching disability studies)............"

What does "to hold a coustesy appointment" mean in this sentence?

A courtesy appointment (or 'professor by courtesy') is defined by wikipedia as:

A professor who is primarily and originally associated with one academic department, but has become officially associated with a second department, institute, or program within the university and has assumed a professor's duty in that second department as well, could be called a "professor by courtesy." Example: "Joshua H. Alman is Professor of Law and Professor, by courtesy, of Genetics at Stanford University". Usually, the second courtesy appointment carries with it fewer responsibilities and fewer benefits than a single full appointment (for example, affiliated professors rarely have voting rights in their courtesy department). Because affiliated professors are often listed following a partition in the catalog copy or web page for the department, they are often called "professors below the line" or "below the diamonds"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed or a similar phrase.

So in your example, the speaker is a teacher in one department (not stated which one), however, is also teaching a 'Disability Studies' class.

Status
Not open for further replies.