Should the '-ed' sound be ignored when saying 'thinked that' ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamskl

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Actually, I wanna ask if the '-ed' sound should be ignored when saying any word ending with '-ed' and with 'that' or 'the' following. Thank you!

Actually, I wanna ask if the '-ed' sound should be ignored when saying any word ending with '-ed' and with 'that' or 'the' following. Thank you!

No, even in a verb that has an -ed simple past. I'd like to ('wanna') point out that the simple past of 'think' is 'thought'. ;-)

b

sorry that i made such silly mistake and thx.

Not so silly! It would have been OK with 'blinked', 'clinked', 'jinked' (an informal verb meaning 'move deftly in a zig-zag fashion', as in 'The winger jinked through the defence') 'linked', 'pinked' (quite a rare one - I've only met the -ing form of this verb), and 'winked'. In Guys and Doll's there's even the verb 'mink' (meaning 'provide a mink coat and other similar gifts for "some doll"') ;-)

b

In addition to BobK's comments I would ask you, "iamskl", what do you know to be the "_ed" sounds?

In an utterance such as "He guessed the answer", the /t/ at the end of 'guessed' is not released, but it is there. It makes the /s/ of 'guessed' shorter than it is in "guess the answer".

The same is true of the /d/ in utterances such as "He answered the question"; it is not released, but it is there.

In addition to BobK's comments I would ask you, "iamskl", what do you know to be the "_ed" sounds?

I'm sorry, i don't understand what you asked...

And thank you very much fivejedjon

I'm sorry, i don't understand what you asked...

And thank you very much fivejedjon
I suppose 5jj means 'Do you think it's a separate syllable?' But I'll let him speak for himself... ;-)

b

I suppose 5jj means 'Do you think it's a separate syllable?' But I'll let him speak for himself... ;-)
It was billmcd who asked the question.

:oops: Just so. It was a good question - made me look at the OP again : "the -ed sounds". (More often than not an -ed ending has no vocalic sound, but makes a consonant cluster.) ;-)

b

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back