Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Is it possible to change the positon of interrogative phrases like that?
can anyone give me some examples?
thanks guys!

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Is it possible to change the positon of interrogative phrases like that?
can anyone give me some examples?
thanks guys!
No, not in English as it is spoken today. I can give you examples but they're very old. One comes from Geoffrey Chaucer's The Tale of Melibee.

Allas, my lord," quod she, "why make ye youreself for to lyk a fool?

Another comes from William Shakespeare's Much Ado about Nothing.

What heard you him say else?

Remember that we would not say these things this way today.

laurinha88

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
"why make ye youreself for to lyk a fool" you sure that's right?:-o can you translate it?sorry i'm dumb huahauahauh

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
"why make ye youreself for to lyk a fool" you sure that's right?:-o can you translate it?sorry i'm dumb huahauahauh
It's not correct today. It is a very old sentence. It's over 600 years old. The language in which it was written is called Middle English. The sentence was translated as follows by Gerard NeCastro:

"Alas, my lord," she said, "why do you permit yourself to act like such a fool?"

As you can see it is "do you permit" in the translation, not "permit you". This would be incorrect in present day English.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Oh yes, we're quite sure it's right. If you would like many more examples of Middle English, click HERE

It will take you to an entire website of Chaucer's Canterbury Tales in the original language. Some of us (of a certain age) were required to study Chaucer for a couple of years at school. I can assure you that the majority of us did not enjoy it!

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Oh yes, we're quite sure it's right. If you would like many more examples of Middle English, click HERE

It will take you to an entire website of Chaucer's Canterbury Tales in the original language. Some of us (of a certain age) were required to study Chaucer for a couple of years at school. I can assure you that the majority of us did not enjoy it!
Chaucer was in the English Literature course for GCSE 2009/2010.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Speak for yourself. :) I enjoyed the first two years so much that I went on for another two!

b

PS I'm surprised nobody's mentioned context. A widow isn't always a woman whose husband has died - though that is by far the most common meaning. For example, an editor who has read the galley-proofs of a book might - after page make-up - say 'How did this widow get here?' see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Widow_(typesetting) .

Last edited:

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
PS I'm surprised nobody's mentioned context. A widow isn't always a woman whose husband has died - though that is by far the most common meaning. For example, an editor who has read the galley-proofs of a book might - after page make-up - say 'How did this widow get here?' see Widows and orphans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia .
Thanks BobK. I learned two things: that there's another meaning of the word "widow" and that the word in the sentence is "widow", not "window". It really puzzled me how a window could come in but I decided to sit still since no one protested. It was a good decision. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.