Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Japan
With the power off, press and hold the "ON" button until your Bluetooth device starts flashing the LED, signaling that the device is in the pairing mode.(From http://www.ehow.com/how_7678837_connect-bluetooth-headsets-alltel-scoops.html)

Once the Bluetooth is in pairing mode, it can be discovered by another device, such as a mobile phone.
(From http://www.ehow.com/how_8725907_bluetooth-purple.html)

- Something is in the XXX mode.
- Something is in XXX mode.
I wonder if both are correct and if there's any difference.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
With many of these questions you're asking, people are using different versions because no consensus has been reached. We need the language now and the rules will follow. A few years ago, some people said that email had to be uncountable because mail is and that we should say I received two pieces of email or something similar, but this was ignored and now email is countable.

Many of the questions you're asking cannot be answered in a concrete way- we have the need first and rules come later, or not, determined by what people decide on, or not. It's a new area and you will see different prepositions and different ideas about article usage and other things. That's simply because technology is moving faster than grammar. It takes time for a usage to get fixed. Wait five years and then look again if it's rules you're after- as a simple test, ask people what the plural of computer mouse is- most people only use them in the singular, so no consensus has really been reached- people in charge of ordering hundreds of them every day may have decided whether to say mice or mouses, but the average user hasn't.

sunsunmoon

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Japan
Thank you very much for the great advice, Tdol. I'll keep that in mind.
1423.png

Last edited:

sunsunmoon

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Japan
Mind if I take you back to the topic? Which would be more frequently seen or heard, "in the XXX mode" or "in XXX mode"?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
COCA gives 282 examples without 'the', 138 with 'the'.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I generally see and hear it more commonly without the article.

Status
Not open for further replies.