Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello everyone,

I'm wondering what the exact meaning of "hold the space" is and with which meaning "hold" is used in thjis phrase.

Here are some examples;

Holding the Space for OthersOh June! ~ Making Space for an Amazing life! | Oh June! ~ Making Space for an Amazing life!
Everyone has and is responsible for their own space. But that doesn’t mean one person can’t hold the space for another until they can make it for themselves. Parents do it automatically when we hold the space for our children to grow up with confidence. Teachers do it without thinking by holding the space for their students to grasp some unknown potential.

Hold The Space & Create The Place…
Though I never forgot the movie and my desire to visit the location where it was filmed, I have always held the space, and last month, attracted the place via my great friends and their unconditional love for each other.

As for the first example, my guess is that the phrase in question means something like "creating a good atmosphere/environment", but I'm not sure.

Thank you.

Sometimes a bit of googling works wonders. Have you tried typing "holding the space" in the search box?
If you click on the very first links, you'll get the answer.

..holding space for someone means staying engaged and present with them while they undergo a process of self-inquiry and discovery of truth.

..., when we hold space for someone, we offer ourselves up as a container for the overwhelming feelings they may be encountering due to their circumstances

...When we hold the space for someone we are just present, listening, and validating. We aren't judging, giving advice or offering a solution. We are just there holding their pain, their anguish, their joy, their space.

Sometimes a bit of googling works wonders. Have you tried typing "holding the space" in the search box?
If you click on the very first links, you'll get the answer.

..holding space for someone means staying engaged and present with them while they undergo a process of self-inquiry and discovery of truth.

..., when we hold space for someone, we offer ourselves up as a container for the overwhelming feelings they may be encountering due to their circumstances

...When we hold the space for someone we are just present, listening, and validating. We aren't judging, giving advice or offering a solution. We are just there holding their pain, their anguish, their joy, their space.

Thank you, Verona_82.

But are you sure those definitions can be applied to teachers? And I fail to understand what those definitions have to do with the second example in my original post.

I do not know this expression, but it seems to me that the first definition found by Verona works for teachers.

The second of your examples sounds to this grumpy old man like meaningless twaddle.

I do not know this expression, but it seems to me that the first definition found by Verona works for teachers.

The second of your examples sounds to this grumpy old man like meaningless twaddle.
Thank you, fivejedjon.

And I fail to understand what those definitions have to do with the second example in my original post.

I'm not much into psychology, but, having read the article, the definitions seem to work in the context of your second example.
The idea running like a red thread through the text is "hold the space and you'll create the place". The author desperately wanted to visit the Grand Hotel, but didn't know how to do it. It was not until 2008 that he finally got there, and he claims it was his hold-the-space-based approach (that he had been following for over two decades) that helped him to make his dream come true. He appears to see a direct relation between being supportive/lending a sympathetic ear etc in relationships with other people and amazing things that happen later in life.
Hold the Space” inside yourself purely, and sure enough you can eventually “Attract the Place.” Remember that whatever your heart desires, rest assure its manifestation is out there waiting for you….

All the above is my personal interpretation of your article.

And a very impressive interpretation it is :up:. (That was not meant sarcastically.) Pesonally, I still think that " I have always held the space, and last month, attracted the place via my great friends and their unconditional love for each other" is twaddle.

And I think he should have bought a ticket and booked the hotel...well, if he wanted that so much :)

I'm not much into psychology, but, having read the article, the definitions seem to work in the context of your second example.
The idea running like a red thread through the text is "hold the space and you'll create the place". The author desperately wanted to visit the Grand Hotel, but didn't know how to do it. It was not until 2008 that he finally got there, and he claims it was his hold-the-space-based approach (that he had been following for over two decades) that helped him to make his dream come true. He appears to see a direct relation between being supportive/lending a sympathetic ear etc in relationships with other people and amazing things that happen later in life.
Hold the Space” inside yourself purely, and sure enough you can eventually “Attract the Place.” Remember that whatever your heart desires, rest assure its manifestation is out there waiting for you….

Thank you, Verona_82.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back