Native Language
French
Home Country
Cambodia
Current Location
France
Hello,

Which sentence is correct?

Who walks two kilometers to his office every day?
or
Who does walk two kilometers to his office every day?

Thanks

Sambodia

They are both correct in the right context.

That's a very unhelpful thread title, Sambodia. How is it related to your question?

Rover

Thanks for your reply Rover. You're right, I thought that "Talk a Lot" from the English Banana site was known to many.
Sambodia

Thanks for your reply Rover. You're right, I thought that "Talk a Lot" from the English Banana site was known to many.
Sambodia

I know it but that's irrelevant. The thread title should be your actual question. In this case it would have been better to use "Walks or does walk?"

Alright, thanks.
Sambodia

Who walks two kilometers to his office every day?
or
Who does walk two kilometers to his office every day?

NOT A TEACHER

(1) As the moderator told us, it depends on the context.

(2) You might address a meeting of 100 employees and say:

We are conducting a survey of our employees who walk to work instead of driving.

I need to know who walks two kilometers to work every day. Please raise your hands.

(3) On the other hand, you might say this to your boss:

Someone told me that a few employees walk two kilometers to work. I have

already spoken with 90 of our 100 employees, and they all tell me they drive their cars

or take public transportation. I'm wondering who does [in fact] walk two kilometers

to work every day! Was I given the wrong information? This seems to be the case,

doesn't it!

Thanks for your reply, TheParser. What about the grammar rules that says that after "wh" question you must have an auxiliary verb or main verb "to be"?
Thanks for your help.
Sambodia

Thanks for your reply, TheParser. What about the grammar rules that says that after "wh" question you must have an auxiliary verb or main verb "to be"?
Thanks for your help.
Sambodia
When 'who(m)' is the object, then we need an auxiliary verb - Who(m) do you meet on Thursdays? Who(m) are you seeing tonight?

When 'who' is the subject, we can have any verb that is appropriate - Who walks to the office? Who will walk to the office? Who does walk to the office?

Thanks fivejedjon

Sambodia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back