Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi,
Could someone explain to me the meaning of this idiom:
Pats’ Brady takes some air out of Tebow mania

Thank you

Professional Am football player Tim Tebow has gained a lot of publicity lately for his openly and publicly profession of his Christian faith. He has, as a result, attracted more than average attention by the media. Although I am not familiar with any comments by Brady, who is a member of an opposing team, your post suggests that he did make comments that either attempted to or resulted in reducing the attention (taking the air out of the mania directed to Tebow).

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Professional Am football player Tim Tebow has gained a lot of publicity lately for his openly and publicly profession of his Christian faith. He has, as a result, attracted more than average attention by the media. Although I am not familiar with any comments by Brady, who is a member of an opposing team, your post suggests that he did make comments that either attempted to or resulted in reducing the attention (taking the air out of the mania directed to Tebow).

I don't think Brady said anything. It's just that he lead his team to a thorough victory over Tebow's team.

The expression is an analogy to a balloon, or a tire. When some person's ego, or some mania is growing, it can be said to be inflated. Brady let some of the air out by beating Tebow.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am a HUGE Patriots fan.
Tebow had had six last-minute comebacks in a row. People were saying it was nothing short of a miraculous. Many people were very excited about it.Tom Brady's team is the Patriots, and simply, they beat them. There was no last-minute comeback. No miracle. So all the people who were very excited about Tebow are a little less excited now. He's human.

Status
Not open for further replies.