Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Can you please help me with the use of notwithstanding? I thought it was more common to use it at the end of the phrase, but recently I've come across many sentences where it seems to have the same use of in spite of and despite.

Notwithstanding Shaughnessy’s ( 1977 ) influential and highly pragmatic teacher guide, Errors and Expectations, the dominant perspective of this era is well expressed in a quotation from an article by Hartwell ( 1985 ) in the L1 composition journal College English.

Could we also say:

Shaughnessy’s ( 1977 ) influential and highly pragmatic teacher guide, Errors and Expectations notwithstanding, he dominant perspective of this era is well expressed in a quotation from an article by Hartwell ( 1985 ) in the L1 composition journal College English.

In other words, is it possible to say notwithstanding can interchangeably used with despite and in spite of, but at the same time, it can follow the phrase unlike the other two?

Thank you.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Can you please help me with the use of notwithstanding? I thought it was more common to use it at the end of the phrase, but recently I've come across many sentences where it seems to have the same use of in spite of and despite.

Notwithstanding Shaughnessy’s ( 1977 ) influential and highly pragmatic teacher guide, Errors and Expectations, the dominant perspective of this era is well expressed in a quotation from an article by Hartwell ( 1985 ) in the L1 composition journal College English.

Could we also say:

Shaughnessy’s ( 1977 ) influential and highly pragmatic teacher guide, Errors and Expectations notwithstanding, the dominant perspective of this era is well expressed in a quotation from an article by Hartwell ( 1985 ) in the L1 composition journal College English. "Notwithstanding" can be placed in either position........
In other words, is it possible to say notwithstanding can interchangeably used with despite and in spite of, but at the same time, it can follow the phrase unlike the other two? .....but in your example "despite" or "in spite of" must be placed at the beginning.

Thank you.
b.

Status
Not open for further replies.