Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Sweden
Hi

They were sitting in a small room knocking about/around her offer.

--- Is it a good sentence?

Not to me. I can only guess at its meaning.

Doesn't the phrase "knock around/about" mean "to discuss something"? Knock around an idea.

Not to me, it doesn't.

Doesn't the phrase "knock around/about" mean "to discuss something"? Knock around an idea.
I see that some dictionaries do give this meaning, but it's new to me. I have heard 'toss ideas about', but 'knock an offer about' does not work for me.

I've heard it.

She came up with what sounded like a good idea. We knocked it around for a while but in the end, we dismissed it.

I've heard it.

She came up with what sounded like a good idea. We knocked it around for a while but in the end, we dismissed it.

Hi

Do you also think that the word "offer" from my original sentence wouldn't work in this case?

Hi

Do you also think that the word "offer" from my original sentence wouldn't work in this case?

I can think of several contexts where it would work fine.

If we were selling our house at an asking price of £200,000, and someone offered £180,000, we would probably knock the offer around for a while before deciding whether to accept it. In that case, we would discuss it and think about it.

If I applied for a couple of jobs and, after interview, I was offered both of them I would probably have to knock both offers around in order to work out which one I wanted more. "I have two job offers! They both sound great but I'm going to knock them around for a while before making my decision." In that case, I would probably think about them, write down the pros and cons and perhaps discuss them with my friends and family.

[not a teacher]

In AmE, I'm not sure I've heard "knock around/about" but the meaning is clear in context. (In fact, it just "sounds" like BrE :)) I would have used "kick around" (not "kick about). (M-W e.g.: <the board spent the afternoon kicking around the feasibility of opening an overseas office>)

I've heard of ideas being "batted around", particularly in a meeting.

This expression is new to me when referring to discussing an idea. If I were to knock someone around/about that could infer some violence was applied to that other person or as in the case of playing a competitive sport with a ball one could say the ball got knocked around. The use of "tossed about' could be used to express the sense of having the idea discussed in a forum until a consensus is obtained.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back