Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Can some one tell me the usage of those two grammar structures? I always got them mixed up in my test.

Here is an example so you can have a better idea of what am I talking about:
Jack is not home right now but I'll have him call/calling you when he is.

Can some one tell me the usage of those two grammar structures? I always got them mixed up in my test.

Here is an example so you can have a better idea of what am I talking about:
Jack is not home right now but I'll have him call/calling you when he is.

"...I'll have him calling you when he is" is incorrect.

Any particular reason?
Only that the stucture is HAVE someone do something not HAVE someone doing something.

have - definition of have by Macmillan Dictionary
have someone doing something: We need to have everyone sitting down at the same table.

Is this incorrect, or is it different in meaning from "have someone do something"?
It's rather different. If you have someone do something, you cause them to do it.

You sentence, above, means something like: We need to be in a situation wwhere everyone is sitting at the same table.

Thank you, 5jj. Would the phrase "have someone doing something" itself be incorrect?

Not in the right context.

Thank you, 5jj. I wouldn't say "have someone doing something" instead of "get someone do something" or "have someone do something."

Thank you, 5jj. I wouldn't say "have someone doing something" instead of "get someone do something" or "have someone do something."

It is to get someone to do something and implies some sort of obligation, as in the speaker means to convince someone to do something for them.

I'll get my wife to cook your favourite dish when you come to dinner.

Hope it helps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back