Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Is this a metaphor or slang for having a son? It seems to come from tape recorders.

gw13
00:10:21 - I mean, not that that's... - No, it's ok.
00:10:23 My father, he loved cars and he didn't have a son fast forward, here I am,
00:10:27 - or something like that. - Wow. I'm in awe.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Is this a metaphor or slang for having a son? It seems to come from tape recorders.

gw13
00:10:23 My father, he loved cars and he didn't have a son fast forward, here I am,

I have absolutely no idea what any of that means. The problem with dialogue is that when people speak naturally, they frequently mix up their words, their tenses, change their mind halfway through the sentence, start speaking without having any idea what they're going to say next.

As far as your main question is concerned, "to have a son fast forward" makes no sense at all.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
There's some punctuation missing- what fast forward means here is that the narrative is going to jump in time, skipping a lot IMO.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

gw13

Ah, well done Tdol! Yes, that makes sense. It should read ...

My father, he loved cars and he didn't have a son. Fast forward, here I am.

I totally agree. "Fast forward" is used to mean "And now, skipping forward a long way in time very quickly". Just in case people here are too young to remember them (!), cassette tape players and video recorders/players had a "FFWD" or "FWD" button which moved the tape further forward quickly. The letters were the abbreviation of "Fast forward".

They also had a "REW" button to move the tape backwards and we use the full word in speech sometimes to do the same thing:

- One of my three kids turned 21 last weekend.
- Hang on. Rewind! You have three kids?!
- Ah yes, we haven't met for a while, have we? Yeah, I've got three now.

Last edited:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: Good point, about 'REW' ;-) (Yet another example of metaphors outliving the technology they refer to (e.g. 'hang up' at the end of a phone call...)

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Though there is no "tape" used to record, a DVR or DVD disk still has a "fast forward" and "rewind" function.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Though there is no "tape" used to record, a DVR or DVD disk still has a "fast forward" and "rewind" function.

Yes they do, but if you think about it - not with VCR, but with DVD - nothing is actually being rewound. The disc continues to spin at the the same date and in the same direction, and the reading* mechanism, whatever it is, focuses further out on the disc (that is, closer to the edge).

* Theree's another of those metaphors:)

b

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes they do, but if you think about it - not with VCR, but with DVD - nothing is actually being rewound. The disc continues to spin at the the same date and in the same direction, and the reading* mechanism, whatever it is, focuses further out on the disc (that is, closer to the edge).

* Theree's another of those metaphors:)

b

Well, you can still think of the movie being watched as a linear stream of data, through which you are moving. So you can move fast forward or in reverse through that stream.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Well, you can still think of the movie being watched as a linear stream of data, through which you are moving. So you can move fast forward or in reverse through that stream.
:up: Yes you can, and I imagine most people do. What I'm saying is that the analogue metaphor [a linear series of snapshots - life goes on continuously, but we see it as though it were Wallace and Gromit ;-)] doesn't match the digital reality. ;-)

b

Status
Not open for further replies.