[Grammar] Can you check for the ambiguity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dong6241

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
In this sentence
"I arrived home to find a flat package left by the delivery man, casually leaning againt the froont screen door."

Does "casually leaning againt the froont screen door" modifies the "delivery man" or "flat package"?

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Re: Can you check for the fragment?

In this sentence
"I arrived home to find a flat package left by the delivery man, casually leaning againt the froont screen door."

Does "casually leaning againt the froont screen door" modifies the "delivery man" or "flat package"?
You're meant to notice the ambiguity, identify what the writer means, and rewrite to make it unambiguous.
What do you think is happening in this sentence?

dong6241

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea

You're meant to notice the ambiguity, identify what the writer means, and rewrite to make it unambiguous.
What do you think is happening in this sentence?

To me, it seems like delivery man is "casually leaning againt the froont screen door."
If I omit the "casually", leaving only the "leaning againt the froont screen door." would it modify the "flat package" then?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

To me, it seems like delivery man is "casually leaning againt the froont screen door."
If I omit the "casually", leaving only the "leaning againt the froont screen door." would it modify the "flat package" then?
I doubt whether 'casually' or its lack would resolve the ambiguity.
To me, it's quite obvious that the package has been left leaning against the front door - from the context.
Grammatically, it's ambiguous.
My point was that this is not a sentence for which you are supposed to ask the meaning. It is a sentence which you are meant to recognise as an artificial example of ambiguity. By definition, you cannot tell the true meaning of an ambiguous sentence. If you could, it wouldn't be ambiguous.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, Dong:

(1) I believe that "I arrived home to find a package left by the delivery man" is a shorter way to say "I arrived home to find

a package that had been left by the delivery man."

(2) Now let's change that to the active: The delivery man had left a package.

(a) If he had left a package, then I think that we can conclude that he was not at your home when you arrived. In other words,

when you arrived home, he had already left.

HAVE A NICE DAY!

Status
Not open for further replies.