Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
1. Does "[FONT=&#54620]landed on the other side of the cliff[/FONT]"? mean "there were two cliffs facing each other, and he jumped from one cliff to the other" or "he just jumped within one cliff from one side to the other side"? Or did he fall down from the cliff?
2. Does "took his horse back" mean "he made his horse go backward a little bit" or "he brought his horse again to a certain place"? The translation goes the former, but I wonder if the latter works.

go2-mo6-29 ex)The man made a twenty-foot jump on horseback and landed on the other side of the cliff. No problem, I can catch him, Kenny thought. Kenny took his horse back and began to move it again toward the cliff. He spurred his horse, allowing it to run freely. The horse quickly ran forward. But right before the cliff the horse came to a sudden stop, and Kenny went flying over the horse’s head and over the edge of the cliff. Luckily he still had hold of the reins. Hanging on the cliff, Kenny looked up at his horse. Its head was bent low between locked, widely spread forelegs. Kenny shouted “Back up, back up!” The horse hesitated, then did what it was told. Kenny slipped upward onto the cliff.

Jenniferhu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
1. Does "landed on the other side of the cliff"? mean "there were two cliffs facing each other, and he jumped from one cliff to the other" or "he just jumped within one cliff from one side to the other side"? Or did he fall down from the cliff?
2. Does "took his horse back" mean "he made his horse go backward a little bit" or "he brought his horse again to a certain place"? The translation goes the former, but I wonder if the latter works.

go2-mo6-29 ex)The man made a twenty-foot jump on horseback and landed on the other side of the cliff. No problem, I can catch him, Kenny thought. Kenny took his horse back and began to move it again toward the cliff. He spurred his horse, allowing it to run freely. The horse quickly ran forward. But right before the cliff the horse came to a sudden stop, and Kenny went flying over the horse’s head and over the edge of the cliff. Luckily he still had hold of the reins. Hanging on the cliff, Kenny looked up at his horse. Its head was bent low between locked, widely spread forelegs. Kenny shouted “Back up, back up!” The horse hesitated, then did what it was told. Kenny slipped upward onto the cliff.

I'd say he jumped from one side but somehow got a foothold half way on the same cliff at its other side. And as to the second question, I guess that Kenny made his horse step back to where it stood earlier.

NOT A TEACHER
Jenny

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
If the man is still on the same cliff, why would Kenny try to catch him by jumping down?

Jenniferhu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
If the man is still on the same cliff, why would Kenny try to catch him by jumping down?

Kenny would have to catch the man by following his track and reaching over to the other side of the cliff, wouldn't he?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
go2-mo6-29 ex)The man made a twenty-foot jump on horseback and landed on the other side of the cliff.
The only thing I can suggest is that there was a ravine or crack in the cliff face, and that the man juumped across that on his horse.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
1. Does "landed on the other side of the cliff"? mean "there were two cliffs facing each other, and he jumped from one cliff to the other" Yes. or "he just jumped within one cliff from one side to the other side"? Or did he fall down from the cliff? No.
2. Does "took his horse back" mean "he made his horse go backward a little bit" Yes. or "he brought his horse again to a certain place"? The translation goes the former, but I wonder if the latter works. No.

Bhai.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
How would you say about this "he brought his horse again to a certain place"? "He took his horse back there"?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
How would you say about this "he brought his horse again to a certain place"? "He took his horse back there"?

Yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.