Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Does this sentence have any complaining tone? My grammar books says if you use a present progessive with "always", it has the connotation of complaining or criticizing some acts that they hate to accept. Is it correct?

gz45
ex)She is always doing laundry in the middle of the night.

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It could be a complaint. Or it could simply be a statement.

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It could be a complaint. Or it could simply be a statement.

[AmE - not a teacher]

This is correct. I think you'd only know for sure (out of context) if the fact that was stated could imply a negative tone.

She is criticizing the book we are reading. (“To criticize” sometimes has a negative connotation.)
She is always criticizing books we read. (This shows she is complaining.)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Does this sentence have any complaining tone? My grammar books says if you use a present progessive with "always", it has the connotation of complaining or criticizing some acts that they hate to accept. Is it correct?

There will be exceptions - there always are - but it is normally the case.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Andrea's always losing her keys.

In this sentence, the use of always, normally associated by virtue of its meaning with the unmarked tense seems at first sight illogical. However, the use of the progressive form with a short action stresses the repetition of that action. The combination of the progressive and always tells us that this is a situation that actualises repeatedly, but because the duration of the whole series of losing is limited, it is not presented as a permanent state of affairs

This combination is associated by some writers with some idea of the speaker's emotional attitude, but this will be made explicit not just by the words, but by the whole context of situation and the speaker's tone. It is not true to suggest that it always expresses the speaker's irritation; with change of tone of voice and facial expression, the person uttering this could express irritation, resignation, amusement or a number of other feelings. Here, as is almost always the case in English, it is context and other factors that express feelings, not simply the words. The combination can just as easily be used to express pleasure, as in:

He's always buying me flowers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.