Need help on an essay. Final Reflection about my writing. Help revise or advive

Status
Not open for further replies.

jenniejen

:) (I have to write a final reflection about my writing for my finals. How is this? How does it sound? Help me revise and as many idears as I can get idears are welcome.)
(Please any comment or advice or idears are welcome here....)

Final Reflection

I feel my writing has improved during this semester because of all the different types of essays I experimented with. I wrote five essays during the past four or five months which were all very challenging. The five different types of essays I had to write was a Narrative, Descriptive, Compare/Contrast, Persuasion/Argumentation, and a Process Paper. Of these five essays I feel I had some very interesting stories. I feel I always wrote the best when I would write about my life or past experiences. It seems to
me that when I first started to learn to write it was not fun at all because of the little experience I had with writing. I believe that since I had these five different types of essays to learn I am on my way to a easier way at approaching them next time.

For my very first essay, I had to write a Narrative CD project. My professor asked me to write about something I learned from. I struggled for almost a whole day and night just trying to figure out a topic. Finally, I came up with a story called Stop Drugs, Alcohol, and Abuse. This essay was mostly about my father who was a drug addict, alcoholic, and abuser. When I wrote this story I had to go back in time and remember a horrible childhood experience. Writing this type of essay was difficult because it was embarrassing and emotional. I also was nervous to hand in this essay because I really did not want to be judged or looked down on because of this outrageous topic.

In the same way as my first essay, I also had a difficult time thinking of a topic to write about for my second essay. My professor asked me to write a descriptive essay. This was my first time ever writing a descriptive essay. First off, I could not even think about what I was going to write about until almost the last minute. My mind went blank, and I just could not think. I finally decided to write about the three dogs at my patient’s house where I go to work every morning. I really do like these dogs at work, but when I
wrote my essay I wrote about them as being annoying and I hated them. Basically, my descriptive essay was mostly false. There had to be a lot of descriptive telling in this essay, and this is why I feel writing it was very difficult. I made up many details of description just to add to my story so the story can sound okay. I feel if I had more time to go over my essay and revise, I probably would have had a better grade. I feel I have some kind of writer’s block that does not allow me to think of ideas fast enough.

I feel I had a difficult time writing the Compare/Contrast essay because it was much harder than the one I wrote before in my English 043 class. In English 043 I only had to compare or contrast anything I chose. In my English 043 class I chose to compare apples and oranges, and this essay seemed easier to write because in English 101 I had to do both Compare/Contrast at the same time. In my English 101 class I chose to Compare/Contrast two emotions, Love and Hate which was very difficult. I wanted to
write about these two emotions since English 043, but it was difficult then. When my professor gave me an assignment to Compare/Contrast I decided to go back and take the challenge of comparing and contrasting Love and Hate.

The paper I had the easiest time with was my fourth essay. My professor asked me to write a Process Paper. I was having a hard time deciding what to write about like my other essays, but finally the idea came to my head more quickly than the other three essays. I decided to give directions on how to get a really clean kitchen floor. This idea came to my head because I do this task of washing the floor two times a week a work,
and also at my own place of residence a few times a week. As I was getting started, I just sat at my computer and typed free hand thinking over very carefully step by step how I wash the floors. I think I revised this essay one or two times before I actually handed the paper in. I felt I would get a better grade than what I received on my paper, but now I know next time to double and triple check for spelling errors.

Finally, my professor asked me to write my last essay which was a
Persuasion/Argumentation essay. I really enjoyed writing this essay because I wrote about the professional Nursing field which I am moving forward in through schooling. I really want to help people in life physically, emotionally, and mentally, because of the many things I have witnessed from Nurses and Nurses Aids. I decided to argue a case for the elderly for future practice. I feel this Persuasion/Argumentation essay will help me for future persuasion or arguments I will have to make in my future career.

four or five months which were all- if you only wroite five in total, there should be a comma before 'which'
Of these five essays I feel I had some very interesting stories.- this needs rewriting- not all of these essays would have had stories, also you repeat 'I feel' in the next sentence
to learn I am - comma
my father who- my father, who
was nervous to hand- nervous about handing
outrageous topic- I'd change the adjective- controversial/difficult etc
descriptive telling - description??
so the story can sound- could ( or just 'sounded)
Hate which was very difficult- Hate, which
I wanted- had wanted
last essay which- ,which

PS There are few occasions where I have made a comment about a comma or not before 'which'. If you're not sure whether to put a comma, try this- can you cut the phrase with 'which' out and still have a complete sentence that makes sense. If you can, put a comma in.
;-)

You're welcome. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back