Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hi everyone, I'm new here. Could you check correctness of this essay and help me to improve it, please? It is too long and I am not sure what is unnecessary.

Should politicians be punished in the same way as private citizens?

Nowadays politicians, in view of their functions, have a number of privileges, immunities and facilities, which are not available to others. The various privileges are useful abroad. They are necessary in case of misunderstandings. What is more, during attempt to harm a politician’s reputation, a potential saboteur has restricted leeway. However, it might happen that to our governments are taken inappropriate people who treat being politician as a work, not a vocation, therefore they abused their privileges. For this reason many people are wondering whether politicians shall bear criminal responsibility in common to ordinary citizens or not.

Firstly, any criminal should avoid criminal liability regardless of their social position. Otherwise, it would mean that some people can suit any rights to their needs, meanwhile common citizens must respect all rights without exceptions. Such inequalities cause doubt in the rightness of the idea of law. Besides, the law should be equal for everyone and no one should be above of it.
Moreover, politicians take an active part in a creation of the law, therefore they cannot be these who breaking it and avoiding a fair punishment. They should care about the law and give a right example for others. This shows honesty of the people responsible for creating the law. It can also help keeping faith in the good intentions of politicians and proves that they are not blinded by the lust for power and that they are not abusing their privileges. When they behave inappropriately, they should accept the consequences of their deeds because human decency requires it.
Another vital factor is to public figures should have an impeccable moral character and to be transparent. Such an approach to instating takes place in many countries. There, this person cannot be instated again. Politicians have to stand out from the others of morality and do not set their own code, which protects their interests and system of a narrow social elite.

To sum up, bearing criminal responsibility by politicians in common to other citizens is a relevant matter for every society. The immunity should protect politicians when they serve of official duties, but I think that in no case should help avoid criminal responsibility if politicians do act contrary to policies the law in the private action or activity not associated with the served office.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Hello ad17, and welcome to the forum. :)

Why do you say your essay is too long? Are you practising for some test? If so, which one is it, and what was the word limit for that essay?

ad17

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello ad17, and welcome to the forum. :)

Why do you say your essay is too long? Are you practising for some test? If so, which one is it, and what was the word limit for that essay?

Hello :) I have limit - 250-300 words. I am not sure if my arguments are good and what can I cut off. It is an academic essay :(

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
By virtue of their position, many politicians have certain privileges and immunities which are not available to others. However, some politicians treat their job as ordinary work, not as a vocation, and they abuse their privileges. For this reason, many people question whether politicians should be keep their privileges and immunities in such situations.

Firstly, no one should break the law, regardless of their social position. Politicians are only given certain immunities to enable them to do their job properly. It is also important for all to realize that everyone is equal in the eyes of the law, and that no one is above the law. This is especially pertinent to politicians, who take an active part in making legislation. Therefore, they cannot be the ones who break the law without receiving just punishment.

In fact, politicians must set a good example for others by being honest and by upholding the law. As public figures, they should be of impeccable moral character and be transparent. This would help keep people's faith in politicians and prove that they are not blinded by the lust for power and that they are not abusing their privileges. Conversely, when they behave inappropriately, politicians should accept the consequences of their deeds.

To sum up, politicians are no different than ordinary citizens and should be subject to the law just like everyone else. Any special immunity should protect politicians only in the course of their official duties, but in no case should anyone, including politicians, avoid prosecution if they break the law.

---------------------------------------------------
For your next essay:
1- Do not use an online translator (e.g., Google Translate).
2- Plan out your essay before you write it.
3- Write in a clear, direct and simple manner.

ad17

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Thank you so much! :roll: My essay would be better. Unfortunately, even in Polish I was not sure what can I say on this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.