Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Hi.
I am curious to know what "waste-tap" means in the following passage.

Idly he turned the cold-tap of the bath, and the water began to rush in. He turned off the cold-tap and turned on the waste-tap, and as he did so his knee, which was pressing against the panelling, slipped forward....Racksole tried to repeat the trick with the waste-tap, but he failed; it would not work again, nor could he in any way perceive that there was any connection between the rod of the waste-tap and the hasp of the panel.
(Grand Babylon Hotel by Arnold Bennett)

Is "waste-tap" a device which can operate the opening and closing of the drain outlet inside the bath? Strangely I cannot find this word in any dictionaries I have. I appreciate any comments. Thank you.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Here in the Czech Republic we often have a plunger next to (or between) the hot and cold taps. Pulling it lowers the plug when we want water to stay in the sink/basin/bath; pressing on it raises the plug to let the water run away. Perhaps this might be called a 'waste-tap'. I have never come across the term, but it seems to fit.

Last edited:

imchongjun

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Thank you very much for your helpful comments, BobK and 5jj!

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Here in the Czech Republic we often have a plunger next to (or between) the hot and cold taps. Pulling it lowers the plug when we want water to stay in the sink/basin/bath; pressing on it raises the plug to let the water run away. Perhaps this might be called a 'waste-tap'. I have never come across the term, but it seems to fit.
I've seen those here too, though I wouldn't call it a 'tap'. Maybe Arnold Bennett would. ;-)

b

PS: Just thought - there is something called a 'waste tRap' - commonly known, in its simplest form as a 'U-bend'... No, it can't be that (you don't turn one on) - as you were :oops:

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I've seen those here too, though I wouldn't call it a 'tap'. Maybe Arnold Bennett would. ;-)

b
It has just occurred to me that that some old-style bath tubs
might actually have had a tap to let the water out conveniently.

Status
Not open for further replies.