Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
While watching the movie Animal Kingdom, this line came up:

You want food? You look Biafran.

I'm assuming that that the person means that the person she's talking to looks very thin and hasn't eaten much lately. Am I right?

If so, does anyone else agree that this is usage, outside of a movie, would be considered.. well...kind of offensive? I've never heard anyone use a particular country as an adjective to refer to a quality that is connected to that country. I feel like it's not exactly right to invoke a stereotype, particulary this one.

Does anyone else agree, or am I way off?

Thanks.

abaka

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Your interpretation is correct.

Offensive? Rather old-fashioned. The Biafran crisis was forty or more years ago.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You're right in both your understanding and that these days that would normally be considered distinctly un-PC.

It's not the first example I've heard though. In the late 80s and throughout the 90s, I heard people referring to extremely thin people as "Ethiopian".

In South Park, the satirical cartoon show, there was an entire episode based around a character called "Starvin' Marvin, the Ethipopian (sic)" - admittedly, in the cartoon, he was actually meant to be an Ethiopian national but the character was clearly intended as a stereotype of any African race which was enduring a famine.

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
Offensive? Rather old-fashioned. The Biafran crisis was forty or more years ago.

Perhaps "offensive" is too strong of a word, so in retrospect I would say that it's politically incorrect (as emsr2d2 has said).
The only settings in which I find stereotypes appropriate, are comedic/satiric/humourous ones, such as those in South Park (which I think is a great show).

Thank you for your responses.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Perhaps "offensive" is too strong of a word, so in retrospect I would say that it's politically incorrect (as emsr2d2 has said).
I find somrthing that makes a joke of hundreds of thousands of people starving to death very offensive.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.