Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
Buddy Slade: I'm gonna grab a drink. You want a beer?
Mavis Gary: Oh, just a water.
Beth Slade: Can you get me another Summer Ale? It's fine. I'll just pump and dump after the show. Don't worry, I'm not trying to get my kid hammered.

This bit of dialogue is from the movie Young Adult. What is meant here by "pump and dump"? The character Beth Slade has recently delivered a baby. She usually doesn't drink. The only definition that I could find was:

Noun1.pump-and-dump scheme - an illegal scheme for making money by manipulating stock prices; the schemer persuades other people to buy the stock and then sells it himself as soon as the price of the stock risesdodge, stratagem, contrivance - an elaborate or deceitful scheme contrived to deceive or evade; "his testimony was just a contrivance to throw us off the track"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.

pump-and-dump scheme - definition of pump-and-dump scheme by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

But this doesn't make any sense to me in that context. What is she going to do with that drink?

Thank you.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
This bit of dialogue is from the movie Young Adult. What is meant here by "pump and dump"? The only definition that I could find was:

But this doesn't make any sense to me in that context. What is she going to do with that drink?

Thank you.

I really can't imagine what it's supposed to mean.

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
I really can't imagine what it's supposed to mean.

Thank you. The person who said that recently deilvered a baby. She usually doesn't drink alcoholic drinks.

Now I have found on the Internet that "pump and dump" is used in conjunction with breast feeding ( http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastfeed/lifestyle/alcohol/ ), so I think that this has something to do with that. She probably doesn't want her baby to get the alcohol that ends up in the breast milk. I'm still not quite sure what "pump and dump" entails, but it seems to be a term that occurs often, so I think I'll probably figure it out.

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The key to the meaning lies in your statements of context: 'The character Beth Slade has recently delivered a baby. She usually doesn't drink. Don't worry, I'm not trying to get my kid hammered.'

If a new mother wants to drink, but is breastfeeding her baby, she can 'pump' the milk that has alcohol in it and 'dump' / get rid of it.Sally: "I can't drink until baby John is weened"
Maggie "Come on girl, drink tonight and just pump and dump in the morning"

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I had no idea what that meant until I read amigos4's post. When I first saw the title of the thread, I imagined that it might be something to do with 'laddish' terms for pumping urine from the bladder and dumping (=excreting).

'Scuse me lads. I'm just off for a pump an' a dump.

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I had no idea what that meant until I read amigos4's post. When I first saw the title of the thread, I imagined that it might be something to do with 'laddish' terms for pumping urine from the bladder and dumping (=excreting).

'Scuse me lads. I'm just off for a pump an' a dump.
As we have said repeatedly, context is everything! We can thank Chicken for including contextual clues! :up:

Cheers,
A4

Status
Not open for further replies.