Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The essay is about physician-assisted suicide, at the end the author quoted Annas' words:
"Large numbers of physicians seem unconerned with the pain their patients are needlessly and predicatably suffering. Medical licensing boards must make it clear...that painful deaths are presumptively ones that are incompetently managed and should result in linense suspension."
Let me ask: Anna would probably agree that doctors should be punished if they
a. manage their patients incompetently.
b. prolong the needless suffering of the patients.

My idea is for a. referring to "painful deaths are ones that are incompetently managed " by doctors.
For b. though anna talked of the fact that " physicians seem unconcerned with the pain their patients needlessly sufferring",which doesn't mean "prolong the needless suffering of the patients."and to which Anna
didn't say the doctors should be punished at all.
Glad to hear wise teacher' opinions!
Thanks a lot!

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Notletrest, please pay attention to punctuation, capitalization and using spaces correctly. Your post is difficult to read, which may be why it had 45 views and 0 replies when I opened your thread. See my corrections below. (I'm not correcting the grammar, which is incorrect too in some places. I'm always afraid to do it as I'm not a native speaker.)

• The essay is about physician-assisted suicide. At the end, the author quoted Anna's words:
  • My idea is for a. referring to "painful deaths are ones that are incompetently managed" (note that there is no space between d and ") by doctors.
  • For b. though, Anna talked of the fact that (no space between " and p) "physicians seem unconcerned with the pain their patients needlessly sufferring", (you need a space after the comma) which doesn't mean "prolong the needless suffering of the patients," (you need a space between " and a) and to which Anna (don't break lines mid-sentence) didn't say the doctors should be punished at all.
  • Glad to hear wise teachers' opinions!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I'm not correcting the grammar, which is incorrect too in some places. I'm always afraid to do it as I'm not a native speaker.
In your case, BC, I think your fear is ungrounded. Your knowledge and understanding of English grammar is* greater than that of many native speakers.

However, I wish that some non-native speakers who respond in this forum shared your reticence. ;-)

*I used the singular 'is' because I was thinking of 'knowledge and understanding' as one idea. 'Are' is also correct, and many people would prefer it.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
In your case, BC, I think your fear is ungrounded. Your knowledge and understanding of English grammar is* greater than that of many native speakers.
Thank you. It may be that I have a better knowledge of English grammar than some native speakers. I'm not sure about understanding. In any case, I simply know that when I'm starting to correct somebody's grammar, I feel uncomfortable. It's not the same as making my own sentences. I have to use natural English and keep the meaning intact. I usually end up completely helpless in the middle of such work. And it's not just that it's difficult for everybody. As a non-native speaker, I have learned to use certain constructions fairly proficiently. But I often lack the ability to say things in the easiest possible way, as a native speaker would do. When I'm writing or saying my own words, I don't care so much and will just say it in a longer or more contrived way. But I don't want to give it as advice to other people.

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Notletrest, please pay attention to punctuation, capitalization and using spaces correctly. Your post is difficult to read, which may be why it had 45 views and 0 replies when I opened your thread. See my corrections below. (I'm not correcting the grammar, which is incorrect too in some places. I'm always afraid to do it as I'm not a native speaker.)

• The essay is about physician-assisted suicide. At the end, the author quoted Anna's words:
  • My idea is for a. referring to "painful deaths are ones that are incompetently managed" (note that there is no space between d and ") by doctors.
  • For b. though, Anna talked of the fact that (no space between " and p) "physicians seem unconcerned with the pain their patients needlessly sufferring", (you need a space after the comma) which doesn't mean "prolong the needless suffering of the patients," (you need a space between " and a) and to which Anna (don't break lines mid-sentence) didn't say the doctors should be punished at all.
  • Glad to hear wise teachers' opinions!
Thank you very much for your help!

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
To be honest, it doesn't sound to me like a very good quote for the end of an essay on this topic. It would work better in the body.

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
To be honest, it doesn't sound to me like a very good quote for the end of an essay on this topic. It would work better in the body.
As it is, I omitted sth which has nothing to do with the question. Let me add it up as follows:
Anna says lawyers can play a key role in insisting that these well-meaning medical initiatives translate into better care.
"Large numbers of physicians seem unconerned with the pain their patients are needlessly and predicatably suffering," to the extent that it constitutes "systematic patient abuse." He says medical licensing boards " must make it clear...that painful deaths are presumptively ones that are incompetently managed and should result in linense suspension." {the end , copied word by word, ret195}
Thanks !

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's hard to see a distinction here.

If the death is needlessly painful, it was incompetently managed, says Anna.

So is there a difference in whether doctors should be punished for the incompetence or for the painful death, if painful death = incompetent management?

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
It's hard to see a distinction here.

If the death is needlessly painful, it was incompetently managed, says Anna.

So is there a difference in whether doctors should be punished for the incompetence or for the painful death, if painful death = incompetent management?

It is a test topic for graduate students 2002, not by me.
Thanks!

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
It is a test topic for graduate students 2002, not by me.
Thanks!
Pity to have no answers, either! In the website I posted several such questions , but have gotten no satisfactory answers . Now that they are test topics, of course , I know the keys. But I don't agree with them , so putting them on in another way.
These topics have such importance as to decide a youth's fate, and I wonder why the authorities admit the existence of such topics whose keys are decided only by the putters at their will.
Thanks for your attention!

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Pity to have no answers, either! In the website I posted several such questions , but have gotten no satisfactory answers . Now that they are test topics, of course , I know the keys. But I don't agree with them , so putting them on in another way.
These topics have such importance as to decide a youth's fate, and I wonder why the authorities admit the existence of such topics whose keys are decided only by the putters at their will.
Notletrest, there should be no space before a comma or a period. These are incorrect:

questions , but
answers . Now
course , I
them , so

These are correct:

questions, but
answers. Now
course, I
them, so

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Notletrest, there should be no space before a comma or a period. These are incorrect:

questions , but
answers . Now
course , I
them , so

These are correct:

questions, but
answers. Now
course, I
them, so
I sincerely adopt yours!
Thanks!

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
hoping to hear your comments!

Status
Not open for further replies.