Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Please find me an alternative expression to "hold the promise" in the following.

"Ipv6 enables the Internet of things," he says, "which in turn holds the promise for reinventing almost every industry."...

Thank you.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
To make sense of this, I'd first like to know the meaning of

"Ipv6 enables the Internet of things".

Rover

mathias_r

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
-not a teacher-

Maybe I can help to explain the term "Internet of Things". Currently we use the IPv4-protocoll to assign addresses to every computer or device connected to the Internet. But this protocol is limited to around 4 billion addresses - not enough for 7 billion people. Therefore IPv6 will replace it in near future and provide us with an extremely large number of addresses. (many trillions of addresses for each square meter of the Earth's surface).

With all these IPv6-addresses you can assign one to every object mankind ever forges. Think of products which have Internet addresses stored on a chip (this could replace RFID-technology which is used to determine where a product is currently located on its way from the factory to the end-consumer). IPv6 enables unique identification of everything and everybody which respectively who has an address assigned.

Last edited:

CarloSsS

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
NOT A TEACHER

I think that "the Internet of things" means that in the future (when IPv6 becomes common and replaces IPv4) there will be different "things" connected to the Internet, but that doesn't make much sense to me either.

mathias_r

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
There's also a Wikipedia article called "Internet of Things" which I cannot link to due to my newbie-user-status.

Last edited:

unpakwon

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
My book describes "Internet of things" like the following.

These days, Cerf is excited about the future of his creation---that is, the future of networks and sonsers. A network is any interconnection of signals and information, of which the Internet is the most significant example. A sensor is a device that detects information---temperature, vibration, radiation, and such---that, when hooked up to a network, can also transmit this information. Taken together, the future of networks and sensors is sometimes called the "Internet of things," often imagined as a self-configuring, wireless network of sensors interconnecting, well, all things.

Status
Not open for further replies.