Student or Learner
Native Language
Quechua
Home Country
Qatar
Current Location
Argentina
Hi All,

In English, can we "the price is very cheap"?

EngFan

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
We can, but we don't normally. We prefer to say that the product is very cheap, or the price is very low.

discipulus

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Dutch
Home Country
Denmark
Current Location
Greenland
"price" is never cheap.

products are cheap.

you could say

price is economical

or

this product is cheap

cheap is a derogatory term, use it with caution

the fellow is really cheap.

implies, the fellow is a freak, uncivilized, or lacking manners.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
"price" is never cheap. [STRIKE]p[/STRIKE] Products are cheap. [STRIKE]y[/STRIKE] You could say

the price is economical We would not normally say that

or

this product is cheap

[STRIKE]c[/STRIKE] 'Cheap' is a derogatory term, not normally in the context we are discussing use it with caution:

the fellow is really cheap.

implies, the fellow is a freak, uncivilized, or lacking manners. No it doesn't. See definitiions 3 and 4 here.
Please begin sentences with a capital letter.

EngFan

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Quechua
Home Country
Qatar
Current Location
Argentina
We can, but we don't normally. We prefer to say that the product is very cheap, or the price is very low.

[FONT=&quot]Hi 5jj,

I also have same thought but according to Oxford Collocations Dictionary, it says "cheap" can be an adjective for "price", could you please let me know the reason? Thanks
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
price [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]noun [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]adjective [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]exorbitant [/FONT][FONT=&quot], [/FONT][FONT=&quot]high [/FONT][FONT=&quot], [/FONT][FONT=&quot]inflated [/FONT][FONT=&quot], [/FONT][FONT=&quot]prohibitive [/FONT][FONT=&quot], [/FONT][FONT=&quot]steep [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]They charge exorbitant ~s for their goods. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The ~ of fuel is prohibitive. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]rising [/FONT][FONT=&quot], [/FONT][FONT=&quot]soaring [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]falling [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]cheap [/FONT][FONT=&quot], [/FONT][FONT=&quot]low [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]bargain [/FONT][FONT=&quot], [/FONT][FONT=&quot]budget [/FONT][FONT=&quot], [/FONT][FONT=&quot]discounted [/FONT][FONT=&quot], [/FONT][FONT=&quot]knock-down [/FONT][FONT=&quot]( BrE ) [/FONT][FONT=&quot], [/FONT][FONT=&quot]reduced [/FONT][FONT=&quot], [/FONT][FONT=&quot]rock-bottom [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]designer clothes at bargain ~s [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]affordable [/FONT][FONT=&quot], [/FONT][FONT=&quot]attractive [/FONT][FONT=&quot], [/FONT][FONT=&quot]competitive [/FONT][FONT=&quot], [/FONT][FONT=&quot]decent [/FONT][FONT=&quot], [/FONT][FONT=&quot]fair [/FONT][FONT=&quot], [/FONT][FONT=&quot]reasonable [/FONT][FONT=&quot], [/FONT][FONT=&quot]right [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]We sell quality tools at the right ~. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]good [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I managed to get a good ~ for my old car. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]average [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]asking [/FONT][FONT=&quot], [/FONT][FONT=&quot]purchase [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]What's the asking ~ for this house? [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]You need to pay a deposit of 10% of the purchase ~ of the property. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]recommended [/FONT][FONT=&quot]( esp. BrE ) [/FONT][FONT=&quot], [/FONT][FONT=&quot]suggested [/FONT][FONT=&quot]( esp. AmE ) [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The suggested retail ~ of the DVD is $19.99. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]retail [/FONT][FONT=&quot], [/FONT][FONT=&quot]sale [/FONT][FONT=&quot], [/FONT][FONT=&quot]sales [/FONT][FONT=&quot], [/FONT][FONT=&quot]selling [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]wholesale [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]cost [/FONT][FONT=&quot]( esp. BrE ) [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]They are selling off summer shoes at cost ~. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]base [/FONT][FONT=&quot]( esp. AmE ) [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The car has a base ~ of $28[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]640. [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]full [/FONT][FONT=&quot], [/FONT][FONT=&quot]half [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Children travel half ~ until age ten. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]fixed [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]They sell cars at fixed ~s, with no haggling. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]market [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]This website tells you the market ~ of all makes of second-hand car. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]admission [/FONT][FONT=&quot], [/FONT][FONT=&quot]ticket [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]admission ~s at the museum [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]consumer [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]bond [/FONT][FONT=&quot], [/FONT][FONT=&quot]commodity [/FONT][FONT=&quot], [/FONT][FONT=&quot]gold [/FONT][FONT=&quot], [/FONT][FONT=&quot]share [/FONT][FONT=&quot]( esp. BrE ) [/FONT][FONT=&quot], [/FONT][FONT=&quot]stock [/FONT][FONT=&quot]( esp. AmE ) [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]food [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]house [/FONT][FONT=&quot], [/FONT][FONT=&quot]housing [/FONT][FONT=&quot]( esp. AmE ) [/FONT][FONT=&quot], [/FONT][FONT=&quot]land [/FONT][FONT=&quot], [/FONT][FONT=&quot]property [/FONT][FONT=&quot]( esp. BrE ) [/FONT][FONT=&quot], [/FONT][FONT=&quot]real estate [/FONT][FONT=&quot]( esp. AmE ) [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]electricity [/FONT][FONT=&quot], [/FONT][FONT=&quot]energy [/FONT][FONT=&quot], [/FONT][FONT=&quot]fuel [/FONT][FONT=&quot], [/FONT][FONT=&quot]gas [/FONT][FONT=&quot], [/FONT][FONT=&quot]gasoline [/FONT][FONT=&quot]( AmE ) [/FONT][FONT=&quot], [/FONT][FONT=&quot]oil [/FONT][FONT=&quot], [/FONT][FONT=&quot]petrol [/FONT][FONT=&quot]( BrE ) [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I also have same thought but according to Oxford Collocations Dictionary, it says "cheap" can be an adjective for "price".
I didn't say it couldn't be. I said, "We prefer to say that the product is very cheap, or the price is very low". There are 20 citations for 'cheap price(s)' in the BNC, and 195 for 'low price(s)', which confirms what I said.

EngFan

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Quechua
Home Country
Qatar
Current Location
Argentina
I didn't say it couldn't be. I said, "We prefer to say that the product is very cheap, or the price is very low". There are 20 citations for 'cheap price(s)' in the BNC, and 195 for 'low price(s)', which confirms what I said.

Thanks a lot for your explanation.

EngFan

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Quechua
Home Country
Qatar
Current Location
Argentina
By the way, I'd like to know what BNC is?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)