Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
With regard to the following sentences which are about the usage of “be to + have + past participle” in “Future in Past”:

1) Harry was to have helped with the performance, but he got flu the day before.
2) There was to have been a ban on smoking in restaurants, but restaurant owners have forced the council to reconsider.

My opinion about the first sentence is that Harry did not help with the performance and probably someone else helped instead.
My opinion about the second sentence is that smoking was prohibited in restaurants but restaurant owners have forced the council to reconsider its position about the prohibition of smoking and Now people are allowed to smoke in restaurants or not.

Could you please correct my opinion if I am wrong?

Last edited:

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
With regard to the following sentences which are about the usage of “be to + have + past participle” in “Future in Past”:

1) Harry was to have helped with the performance, but he got flu the day before.
2) There was to have been a ban on smoking in restaurants, but restaurant owners have forced the council to reconsider.

My opinion about the first sentence is that Harry did not help with the performance and probably someone else helped instead. Yes, I agree with you.
My opinion about the second sentence is that smoking was prohibited in restaurants No, I don't think so. but restaurant owners have forced the council to reconsider its position about the prohibition of smoking Yes, I agree. and Now people are allowed to smoke in restaurants or not. Maybe, maybe not.

Hello, Shamsiyan.:-D
My comments are in blue.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A ban was being considered for the future. It was going to be in place. But something changed, and the ban was not put in place.

(You don't know that someone else helped intsead of Harry. You just know Harry couldn't do it.)

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

My opinion about the first sentence is that Harry did not help with the performance and probably someone else helped instead. That is half right. Harry didn't help but it's not certain that anyone else helped in his place.
My opinion about the second sentence is that smoking was prohibited in restaurants but restaurant owners have forced the council to reconsider its position about the prohibition of smoking and Now people are allowed to smoke in restaurants or not. Well, they did force the council to reconsider and usually it implies that they changed their position, but not necessarily. We know only that they reconsidered.

b.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

My opinion about the first sentence is that Harry did not help with the performance and probably someone else helped instead.
Harry almost certainly did not help, but we have no idea about anybody else.
My opinion about the second sentence is that smoking was prohibited in restaurants but restaurant owners have forced the council to reconsider its position about the prohibition of smoking and Now people are allowed to smoke in restaurants or not.
A plan to impose a ban on smoking in restaurants was announced, but restaurant owners have forced the council to reconsider. At present, the ban has almost certainly not been imposed, and people are therefore free to smoke in restaurants if they wish.

Shamsiyan

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
With regard to the following sentence:

Harry was not to have helped with the performance, but he was eager to please.

I think that Harry helped.

What is your opinion?

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
With regard to the following sentence:

Harry was not to have helped with the performance, but he was eager to please.

I think that Harry helped.

What is your opinion?

Hello, Shamsiyan.:-D
Well, "he was eager to please" suggests that he was willing to help with the performance.
So...yes, it is highly probable that Harry actually helped with it, in my opinion.
However, I don't really think it is natural English. (It might be just that I'm not used to 'be to have + past participle' construction.)

Status
Not open for further replies.